Embarassment // 1

E m b a r r a s s m e n t

          Lolly Knight had never been more embarrassed in her entire 19 years of life on Earth. Here she was, in the middle of an English lecture, having an uncomfortable staring contest with Chuck Eddington. the king of the university. And they were kind-of-sort-of holding hands.

            How she got in this situation is a rather funny story. 

         Lolly and Chuck have been seat partners in this particular English class for two weeks now. She transferred here late in the semester, so she didn't get the pleasure of first dibs on the seats. The only two available seats consisted of the one in the very back, or the one next to his truly. Considering her eyes can't see from far away, she opted for the latter. 

         Lolly couldn't help but notice that he was dozing off in class that morning. His lack of sleep was no doubt the effects of the party he threw last night. (Which he was notorious for.) The lecture that they were having was an important one. It was covering the topics that were going to be on the midterm exams, so she was worried that he wasn't going to get his notes.

        With the innocent intentions of writing little notes for him, she leaned over to his paper. It was easy considering they were sitting in the same desk. In the midst of taking notes, she got the urge to doodle. The temptation was too strong, and she glanced at him to make sure his eyes were shut before she started drawing little daisies on his paper.

          Doodling always calmed her, so she didn't realize that she had fallen into a daze. She almost completed drawing a meadow on his paper, before a hand latched on to hers, stilling her pen. 

      Her eyes snapped up to the blazing gaze of Chuck Eddington. He was intimidating, and devastatingly popular, so she knew that one embarrassing thing on her part could lead to no friends for Lolly.

    Then she noted in dismay that there was nothing more embarrassing than getting caught doodling on someone's notes.

         He was still staring at her, and her mouth was opening and closing like a fish, trying to come up with a suitable reason for her actions. "I uh- you see- I- was just- you were sleeping so,-" she blabbered.

          He started laughing, and her already red cheeks were now ablaze. She cringed at how sweaty her palms were getting, and prayed he wouldn't notice. They were still looking at each other, and Lolly wondered if it was too late to transfer to another college.

          "Class dismissed." The Professor's voice rang out, and Lolly sprang from her seat. Chuck was still holding onto her hand, and slowly dropped it. Lolly avoided eye contact as she struggled to get her things together as fast as she could. 

          She peeked at Chuck one last time to find he was still staring at her. She coughed awkwardly, and rushed to the door. 

          She got one foot out of the door before pausing. He still didn't get any notes, and Lolly felt bad for vandalizing his paper. She chewed her lip in thought. She walked back in the room and slowly walked back into the room. She stopped in front of their desk, and he was still sitting their. 

          His demeanor was cool and collected as his long legs were outstretched, and arms crossed. It was a huge contrast to her stiff posture and fumbling hands. For some reason standing in front of him made her feel like she was naked.

          "Well, if it isn't my little Picasso." He teased. 

            Any redness in her cheeks that may have subsided were now back full force. She took a deep breath to prepare herself for the inevitable humiliation she was about to face. 

        "I am really sorry about that," she said in a small voice. She cleared her throat that started closing, "I was actually wondering if maybe you would want to take some of my notes. Since I ruined yours and all." she mumbled.

        "Are you asking me on a date?" He leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table. Her eyes widened and she felt like she just inhaled a desert.       

         "No!" she squeaked. She took a step forward to emphasize her point. He raised an eyebrow, and eyed her up and down, not believing her. She resisted the temptation to wrap her arms around herself, and opted for wringing her hands on her shoulder bag strap.

        His blue, blue eyes made her feel inferior, and like an utter fool. She took slow steps backwards, wanting to distance herself from him. Stubborn tears of humiliation stung her eyes, and she refused to let them fall.

          She knew that she was over reacting. He was only teasing her, but anxiety was starting to cloud her judgment, making this situation seem much bigger then it actually was. 

             "Actually this was a stupid idea. I'm gonna go." she rushed out before she speed walked to the door. She felt bad for his lack of notes, but he had a lot of friends that he could get them from. She wanted to smack herself on the head. He probably thought she was a lunatic.

          "Hey!" A hand lightly gripped Lolly's shoulder, and she cowered away from it. She spun around to see Chuck looking at her in remorse. "I actually really needs those notes, so maybe we can go someplace so I could copy them down?" 

         That was the last thing Lolly wanted to do, but he looked so hopeful, and she hesitantly nodded. She couldn't risk opening her mouth around him anymore. She had enough shame today to last a lifetime.

          "How about we do it in the Cafe?" he suggested. He started walking down the hall, so she followed close behind. Lilly chewed her lip in discontent. She would much rather do it in the library, but she wasn't about to object. "Sure." was her reply.

          She bumped into his hard back when he suddenly stopped to look at her. She wondered if her face would be forever red. "Sorry, I couldn't hear you. What did you say?" he asked. 

          She internally sighed. This was going to be a long day.