Chapter Seven

Master Chief Got Nothin' onMe

I woke to the sound of klaxon alarms.

"​Attention! Attention!​" came a voice through a P.A. system. "​All divisions report for Team Battle!"

I jumped out of bed and frantically looked for an exit. I couldn't use the way Baros did because there wasn't an access port on that wall. I turned around and saw a flashing green arrow on the wall where my bed was. I ran back over to it; it was an indicator for where an access port was located. I pulled my access disk out of my pocket and put it in the port. A compartment opened, and inside it was a backpack. Well, weapons' pack was more like it. It was circular with eight ports encircling it. Each pair of ports had four sets of weapons, each in ascending order. First came a pair of those paralyzation pistols. Next came a pair​ of energy rifles that looked like upscaled and up​graded​ versions​ of the pistols. Next were a pair of handheld Gatling guns, and finally a pair of assault rifles that looked like the one I used when I arrived on the testing floor. All of this was connected to a chest plate that looked like it strapped to my body for better support. Slipping my access disk into my pocket, I put on the weapons' and immediately became back-heavy. I pulled the rifles to try and balance myself, which seemed to work for the most part. The compartment closed, and the bunker began vibrating.

"Whoa!"

"​Helios,​" came the voice of my computer. I hesitated, but answered.

"Yes?"

"​Go to the front of the room. When the coach says 'Sound Off,' indicate your division.​"

"Coach?" No response this time from my computer. Unsure of what to do next, I went to the front of the room. Twenty seconds later, the vibrations stopped. The wall opened, and the training field was before me. Two groups had already assembled​. I ran out, and stood apart from the groups​, but still close enough to be seen. Facing the direction of the other groups, I found myself looking at someone dressed in camo.

The coach.

"Alright!" he bellowed. "You know the drill! Sound Off!"

"Nova team," someone shouted. "Reporting in!"

"Archetypes present!" someone else yelled. I hesitated slightly before announcing myself.

"Solar Division," I yelled. "Falling in!" There were some chuckles from the other people.

"Solar Division?" the coach asked as he walked towards me. "What are you? The poser?"

"'Poser?'"

"Yeah, where one or more people play the role of the 'Solar Division.'

"No sir, I really am from the Solar Division." More laughter from the other groups.

"A newbie. Ha. Picked for the role of the poser. That's rich. Listen." The coach put his hand on my shoulder. "Let me let you in on something: 'Solar Division' is a joke. Even if you actually are a Solenoid, which I highly doubt anyway, you'd be the only one, and that's not a division." I became increasingly angry because the coach was calling the Solar Division a joke, and since it was just me, he was calling ​me a joke. "Look, after the game is over, we'll figure out where to put you." It didn't look like I had much choice except to show him how serious I was.

"Fine," I said, as calmly as possible. The coach nodded and backed away.

"Alright," he said. "Most of you already know the rules, but for the sake of our new recruit, I'll reiterate. First, unless approved, lethal force is not allowed. Paralyzation only. A team is disqualified if none of its members can stand. All abilities are allowed and encouraged." He looked at me again. "Got that, newbie?" I nodded. "Good. Now, everyone, to your safehouses! Battle will start at the sound of the shot!" The other groups took off running in different directions. I kinda stood there, unsure of where I needed to be. "Newbie! You're right there." The coach pointed to a boulder about fifty yards in front of me. I ran and took cover behind it. It seemed like forever, but the shot finally came. Immediately, I heard gunfire. When I looked out from my boulder, all I saw were streaks of purple and bluish light. The Novoids and Archetypes were going at it. No one really seemed to care that I was there. I figured that I could just take people out without too much trouble, or until they realized what was happening and came after me. Then, something occurred to me: why would a newbie, literally ​fresh meat​ be left alone by​ anyone​ in this situation? Following a hunch, I looked through the scope of my rifle, and immediately, I could see something wrong.