part 1; chapter four

Hux stared forward at the projection of the Supreme Leader. His leader stared down at the two men with disgust, without respect, with complete disdain. 

"The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance," he said, and Hux felt the rumble of his words through the soles of his feet. "Leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise."

 "Supreme Leader, I take full responsibility---"

"General!" roared Snoke, standing up to his feet. Hux struggled not to flinch --- he wouldn't have, only he felt so out of sorts now. "Our strategy has now changed."

"The weapon," Hux said, "it is ready. I believe the time has come to use it. We shall destroy the government that supports the Resistance, the Republic. Without their friends to protect them, the Resistance will be vulnerable, and we will stop them before the reach Skywalker."

Snoke sat down, calming down now. Hux could breathe a little bit easier, but he knew he wasn't out of the water just yet.

"You are eager to kill the Resistance, despite your fiancee having fled to join their ranks," Snoke said, nodding to himself. His bony fingers curled around the edges of his throne. "Perhaps you are a better general than I thought. Not allowing your personal feelings to get in the way of what truly matters is key, General." 

"Just because she fled, does not make her Resistance scum," he said. "Only a coward."

"You don't think she has joined the Resistance?" he asked. 

"I do not," Hux replied. "Despite it all, I believe she is still loyal to me and the First Order. Perhaps her father was never the strict disciplinary figure she needed."

"Perhaps you are correct," he said. "If she is found, see to it that she is not killed, but captured. I will deal with the rest. Besides, she may have found some useful information about the Resistance. There may be more to this girl than we have previously thought. Now go. Make your preparations." 

"Yes, Supreme Leader," Hux said. He turned, glaring at Kylo Ren's black mask as he did so. Then he left. 

* * *

You were chugging down your third canteen of water. The water was on the warmer side, and you felt the salty sting of sand that had gotten in it, but it was the best tasting water you'd ever had. You were grateful as you finished your third canteen and finally had the ability to think of the food that was in your lap. 

Poe, who was sitting next to you, had just done the same thing you did. As he pulled the canteen from his lips, he wiped away the water that dribbled down his chin with the back of his hand. Then he grabbed his spork and scraped the bottom of the tin, where a chili-looking substance bubbled up at you.

"It's nice of them to feed us," he said, shoveling the food into his mouth.

You swallowed hard, staring at the brown liquid that bubbled. "Is this... is this good?" 

Poe looked at you, already halfway through his bowl. "Uh-huh. You'll like it. Try it." 

But Poe had no idea what you would like or not, and you felt your stomach turn as you thought of taking a bite. "We've never had anything like this back at the Order," you said. 

"Shh!" Poe looked around. "If people find out you're from the Order, they'll shoot you." 

You nodded in understanding and said, "Okay."

He had gone back to eating already. "What do you normally eat back... back home anyway?" 

"Not much," you said, looking at the horizon. The sky was blue now; a dark and rich navy blue. "We get three meals a day. For breakfast, a cup of caf and some grain of some kind. For lunch, we get a meat of some kind and fruit. And then dinner is the same, just a larger portion."