part 2; chapter six

You flinched in shock at the blinding white light. You watched solemnly as you felt all the lives lost --- and you hoped that Finn, BB-8, and Rose weren't a part of those.

"Full speed to Crait," Poe ordered, his voice steady.

The landing on Crait was gentle, quiet. A bittersweet victory.

Those remaining in the Resistance were few. The low numbers were obvious and filled you with worry as you walked along the white ground. The crunching under your boots confused you. It wasn't that cold on this planet; how could it be covered in ice? You leaned down and touched it. It was salt. 

"Hey." Poe's voice caught your attention. He held out a hand for you to take. "Come on, we gotta get in before they get here." 

You nodded and rose to your feet. You took his hand and walked with him inside of the armored base that was tucked away in the red mountains. 

Everything was old and rusted, covered in a thin layer of salt, as if the dust was made of that, too. You were in awe of the old technology from the beginning days of the Rebellion. You'd never even dreamed of what the past had looked like. As a daughter of the First Order, you were only ever allowed to dream of the future. A future of horror.

"They're coming," Leia said. She had decided to stand outside and watch. "Close the door." 

With a groan, the door began to slide shut. But at the same time, TIE-Fighters were shooting at the entrance. The ground erupted with every shot. People screamed, and Poe waved them back, further into the room. 

"Go, go, go! Get that shield door down!" he exclaimed. 

A woman beside you tripped and fell. You reached down and grabbed her elbow to help her up to her feet. As you helped her regain her footing, you turned and met Poe's eyes. 

At the same time, a large First Order ship hit through the bottom of the door, bending it out of shape and flying into the room. You gasped and ducked as it soared over your head, nearly hitting the rest of the Resistance members as they fired at the exterior of it. 

"Wait! Wait, don't shoot! Don't shoot, it's us!" 

"Hold your fire!" Poe commanded. 

You ran around the side of the ship. "Finn!?"

At that moment, Finn and Rose climbed out of the ship, hands raised in surrender. 

"Finn! Rose, you're not dead!" Poe grinned. "Where's my droid?" 

BB-8 chirped happily as he came out of the ship. He rolled to Poe right away and met him halfway. Poe dropped to his knees in front of his droid and wrapped his arms around him. HIs forehead touched the top of BB-8's head. "Oh, buddy! I am so glad to see you!" 

You walked over to BB-8. "Hey, BB-8," you said softly, touching his back. "Welcome back."

He chirped and leaned against you, and for a brief moment, it was just you, BB-8, and Poe, all grinning at one another (well, BB-8 just chirped to express his happiness) and holding one another. Then BB-8 was chirping, clearly saying a mouthful that left even Poe confused.

"Wait, wait, what?" he asked. "Buddy, slow down." 

Rose glanced around and frowned. "Is this all that's left?" 

Finn looked at her and swallowed hard. 

* * *

"All right, shields are up, so they can't hit us from orbit," Poe said. "Use whatever power we've got left to broadcast a distress signal to the Outer Rim."