part 2; chapter three

"What is the point of all this if we can't blow up three tiny cruisers?"

"Well, they're faster and lighter, sir. They can't lose us, but they can keep at a range where our cannons are ineffective against their shields."

Hux shook his head slowly as he paced. "Well, keep up the barrage. I want the Resistance dead, and I want her dead along with them." 

"Her, sir?" 

"Never mind," he said. "Let's at least remind them that we're still here."

"Very good, sir."

He smiled. "They won't last long burning fuel like this. It's just a matter of time." 

* * *

Your palms pressed against the viewport. Tears filled your eyes. General Organa was floating out there among the debris, among the dust, among the stars.

Poe's voice was pained as he said, "There's nothing we can do---"

"No!" you said. "I can feel her. She's alive."

He looked at you, confused. 

You kept one hand pressed against the glass. "Leia."

Her eyes opened. Her hand outstretched. And she slowly started to move towards the ship.

"Leia!" Poe screamed, turning and running so he could command the doors to be opened.

They were as soon as her hand touched them.

Right away, the General was whisked away on a stretcher. A machine was put on her face and you kept one hand on Poe's back as he ran after the bed and medics. 

"Life signs are weak, but she's fighting!" 

You stopped halfway down the hall, letting him go. He'd want time on his own with her.

"Do you think she'll be okay, Finn---?" You turned. "Finn?"

He was gone. Your eyebrows furrowed. 

* * *

"General Organa... Leia --- is unconscious, but recovering. That's the only good news I have." 

Poe's face fell. You reached over and put a hand on his shoulder. He didn't respond to it, but you squeezed anyway, showing him that you were right there. 

"Admiral Ackbar, all our leadership --- they're gone." 

Another crushing blow. You shut your eyes as the murmurs of grief rose from the small crowd. 

"Leia was the sole survivor on the bridge. If she were here, she'd say save your sorrow for after the fight. To that end, the chain of command is clear as to who should take her place." 

Poe's head lifted and your eyes opened. 

"Vice Admiral Holdo of the cruiser, Ninka."

"Thank you, Commander," Holdo said. You watched as she stepped forward. Her purple hair matched her glittering purple gown. She looked like she didn't fit in. "Four hundred of us on three ships. We're the very last of the Resistance. But we're not alone. In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol, and they put their hope in it. We are the spark that will light the fire that will restore the Republic. That spark, this Resistance, must survive. That is our mission. Now, to your stations. And may the Force be with us." 

Everyone stood up, murmuring to themselves as they did. You sighed and looked at Poe. "That's Admiral Holdo?"

You shrugged. "I guess so."