part 1; chapter eight

Chewbacca helped you limb through the woods. You hated having to run, but you needed to get there. You wanted to get there. You needed to be safe, you needed Chewie to be safe.

You couldn't help but sob as you ran, your right arm tucked underneath your ribcage. You felt like if you didn't hold yourself up, you'd fall apart; split in two.

You felt as if you'd never get there. 

* * *

"We just lost R-1."

Poe's hands clenched tightly around the thruster. He bit down on his lip hard, out of habit, as he took out another TIE Fighter. But it wasn't enough. 

"We're overwhelmed. What do we do? It isn't working." 

Poe shook his head. He didn't want to feel helpless, but with two minutes until the weapon was fully ready to fire, it was hard. They were racing against the clock here, and the confidence felt in the plan had all but completely dwindled away.

"Black Leader, there's a brand new hole in that oscillator. Looks like our friends got in."

Poe's eyebrows raised. He knew you were a part of doing that. If you were still fighting, then who were they do give up?

"Red four, Red six --- cover us!" he ordered. 

"I'm on it!" 

"Roger."

"Everybody else, hit the target hard. Give it everything you got!" He shook his head. 

He took the lead, dipping down towards the oscillator, where black smoke was rising out of it. It was an opening, deep and clear; an opportunity. 

"I need some help here!" he said. 

"I'm on it. Coming in!" 

"No, watch out---!" 

Poe's eyes widened as the X-WING to his right was hit and exploded against the wall. He shook it off quickly. 

"All teams," he said, breathless. "I'm going in. Pull up and cover me." 

"Copy that, Black Leader. Good luck, Poe."

He swallowed hard. Time was ticking down fast.

* * *

"Weapon fully charged in thirty seconds." 

Hux grinned. "Prepare to fire." 

* * *

There it was, with nothing to stand in his way. Poe turned his X-WING to the side and wedged his ship through the space between. He fired twice, filling his vision with flames for a brief moment. 

Then he was inside, firing at the walls and ceiling of the oscillator, exploding each segment in a rush or orange flames. 

Now he had half a second to get out of there before it blew.

He gnawed down on his lip as he flipped the ship around and aimed towards the crevice ---

And he shot forward, back into the outside air. The explosion rose into the air behind him, shooting off like fireworks. 

* * *

The ground shook. You looked around in fear as you watched a crack in the ground behind you. You fell backwards and yelped, landing on your back. 

Chewie grabbed your arms and yanked you back up. Holding onto his arm tight, you both ran through the rest of the trees and out into the clearing, which was littered with destroyed ships. You didn't stop until you made it to the Falcon.