Chapter 7.7

"And that," Mildew said, "was that."

"There must be a way in to the prison," Carmen said.

Mildew shook her head slowly. "Maybe Nick knew one, but I never heard of it." Her eyes suddenly lit up. "Hey, we can't get in there, but what about Leif?"

Panic rose in Slops's eyes. "He'd be scared to."

"He's minaskew," Mildew said, warming to her theme. "Bet he could slip right through the bars. Nobody'd notice a thing."

"Send Fidelma," Slops said desperately.

"What could she do?" Carmen said.

"Take a message to him at least," Mildew said.

"To them you mean."

"What?"

Carmen told her about Ward.

This finally dragged Wrinkler's attention away from the fruit bowl. "(Unprintable word)," he said.

"Do you think Nick's back too?" Carmen said.

"Kind of thing he'd do," Mildew said thoughtfully. "Make out he's done a runner, send 'em all off on a wild slough chase, slip back on the sly. Haven't heard anythink but."

"They'll've taken Ward to Bedlam for sure," Wrinkler said. "Prolly don't know who he is yet. Unless he was stupid enough to take his (unprintable word) shoes off."

"They'll take his shoelaces," Mildew said. "You know, in case he - " she made a motion with her hand, tilting her head and sticking her tongue out at the same time. Then she lowered her voice. "Either way the Brothers'll get to the bottom of it. You can bank on that."

"Could be it's not him at all," Wrinkler said. "Your mere mighta got it wrong."

"She sounded pretty sure," Carmen said. "And what about Fidelma?"

"Oh right," Wrinkler said. "The snokey."

"Dore," Slops said.

Wrinkler ignored him.

They held conference for a while longer. Nobody voiced what they all knew: that nobody had escaped Bedlam Prison in centuries.

"We need Nick, " Mildew said finally. "He's the only one that could do this."

They were all silent in agreement.

"I can think a'one person who might know where he is," Mildew said.

Wrinkler rolled his eyes.

"Who?" Carmen said.

"She's talking 'bout Bunker," Wrinkler said.

"Where's he?"

"Take a (unprintable word) guess."

I (unprintable word) hope you're enjoying this story so far.