Chapter 12.4

"Corvus?"

"It's good to see you Ward."

"But Ludwig. Your staff -"

"I'd be too conspicuous with them. Sorry if I frightened you yesterday."

"You've been here the whole time?"

Corvus nodded.

"Slops said you were on holiday," Ward said.

"You might call it that." His voice grew serious and his eyes searching. "You've been through things no boy should have to endure. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you."

Ward suddenly felt like crying. He looked down at the floor and swallowed.

Corvus put his hand on Ward's shoulder and spoke softly. "By the time I found out, arrangements had already been made for your release. But again, I'm sorry."

Ward still couldn't raise his eyes from the floor. Corvus squeezed his shoulder. Something about that small gesture gave him the courage to look up at the old man and attempt to smile. It probably looked more like a grimace of pain.

"You are strong," Corvus said. "I'll be returning to Bareheep today. Drop by, won't you? We have a lot to talk about."

Ward nodded, still not trusting himself to speak.

Corvus shuffled off down the staircase, without speaking to Slops, who was deep in a book, and shuffled out.

At the counter Ward bought the book by Frank Jaggles (the old woman gave him a curious look, but said nothing) and the two boys left. Ward wondered if he should tell Slops about Corvus. He decided against it, assuming that if Corvus had wanted Slops to know he was there he would have told him himself.

This chapter isn't short,  it's wordcount-challenged.