Prologue

Sirens blared through the almost empty halls of the lab. I wiped the blood off my face and closed my eyes as I leaned my back against the cool steel wall. There was brain activity of three individuals coming my way. I glanced down at my hand.

I focused on internal heat. Then in the blink of an eye my hands were filled with flames. I turned the corner and stood against the three bulky guards facing me. One reached for his walkie-talkie and the other two simultaneously reached for their guns. People were so predictable.

I channeled heat through a wave and melted the walkie-talkie and one of the guns, burning the guards holding them. I summoned a fireball and threw it at the third guard. I threw another one and killed the second guard. 

Then I started to slowly burn the last guard. He fell to the ground and I could feel the blood pouring out of my nose and ears. I had already killed 12 guards. I guess it was 14 now. The living guard whimpered in pain as his skin started to boil. 

"Please, 010. You don't have to do this. You can stay here," he pleaded with glossy eyes. That's when I knew it was time. He was scared. Honestly, so was I. His skin started to melt and his life slowly came to an end.

I stared at the dead body and then glanced up at the exit. Freedom. I drew my attention back to the lifeless guard. "Yes, yes I have to do this," I said to no one in particular. 

A few more guards ran up in either direction. I summoned more fire, this time lighting my hair up as well.

The chances were slim. But it was either escape or death. And I wasn't ready to die. I had a mission to carry out. No matter how many people died on the way.