Chapter 7

Dustin and I were riding down the street. He was making up stupid -but admittedly hilarious- introductions to everything we saw making me laugh every time. I noticed that we were starting to get close to Steve's house but I didn't say anything. I mean what could I say? 

We were coming up on the house, Steve's car was there but I didn't see him outside. Good? I don't know. I didn't know a lot anymore. As we passed the house I could hear yelling inside. It didn't sound mad, just desperate. My stomach dropped and I felt like I was going to be sick. I did this. It's my fault. This is what happens when you get close to people I guess. It all ends in desperation and heartbreak. 

"So where did you move from?" Dustin asked trying to get me to talk. I must have made a face because he could see that something was wrong. But this made me panic more. I didn't know the names of any other towns. "I-I um, from, from, umm," I stuttered quickly trying to think of a name. Then I remembered where Steve's parents had taken the cruise. "Florida," I blurted out. Dustin didn't seem convinced, "Alright."

We rode for another few minutes before we reached the end of the mass of houses. I stopped and used my right foot as a temporary kickstand. Dustin followed my actions, confused. "You alright, June?" He asked. I nodded my head. "This place just gives me weird vibes. I don't know how to describe it," I trailed off realizing I might have said too much. He swallowed hard. 

"Never mind lets keep going," I said as I began to go down the road toward two large building about an acre or so away from each other. Dustin followed closely behind. "This is the middle school and the high school," he began, "we could pull in so you can see the school. Assuming you're going here this fall," he said as he pulled up next to me. I smiled which earned a toothless but never the less cute smile from him. "Sure." We pulled into the field and began to walk while pulling the bikes next to us. 

—————————-

Dustin and I had been biking for about an hour an a half now. We had seen most of town. All that was left was the police station and a neighborhood or two. Dustin was actually a very nice person. I could safely say that we were friends, but it's killing me inside. I wanted to just blurt out everything, tell him everything. He could help me find El. Then I could tell Steve everything. But el said don't. He can't know I know. 

We pulled up in front of the police station. "You know there was once a guy who got arrested because he was under influence. The officer had said 'you know we gotta do a drug test'. Do you know what the guy said?" I smiled, waiting for the punch line. "No," I mused. Dustin smiled and began to speak again, "'Cool, which drugs we testing?" I laughed 

"So what exactly do the police do around here? I doubt anything serious actually happens in this town," I said. I was trying to coax something out of him. Maybe, just maybe, it'll work. "Um, well," he began. He was trying to figure out what to say, "last year a friend of mine went missing. There was some pretty weird stuff surrounding that." I didn't know that. Focus, June. You needed him to talk.

"Like what?" I mused. "Well, uh, everyone thought he was dead. They found some other kids body in the quarry. It was super decayed and they thought it was him," he said. I knew he was lying. I wasn't sure what really happened, but this wasn't the truth. I was going to press more, but some guy walked out of the police department and walked up to us. 

"What're you kids doing around the ol' department at 8 o'clock in the morning?" Dustin seemed relieved for the change of subject. "This is June, she's new in town. I was just showing her around," Dustin said. The man held out his hand to me. What was it with people and handshakes?!? "Well June, my names is Jim Hopper. I'm the chief of police in Hawkins," I shook his hand but didn't say anything. His presence was I guess you could say, threatening. But his name, it sounded familiar. Where have I heard Hopper before? 

He began to walk off to his car, "You two have a nice day now." Dustin smiled politely but I just stared at his truck as it drove off. Wait a second. El said she was staying in the woods with hop. Could she mean him? Could he be my way of finding her? Just then I heard a voice. It was someone talking. It wasn't Dustin, there was no one else here. "What's that?" I said as I looked around. "What's what?" Dustin asked. "That voice," I trailed off when I heard it again. 

Dustin grabbed his backpack from his back and pulled something out of it. He pulled off his cap and placed the item over his head. The voice came out of the thing again. "Dustin, this is mike. Do you copy? Over," it was a boys voice. How did someone get in there?! 

"This is Dustin. I copy. Over," he said while pressing his hand to his ear. I was so confused. "Me, will, and Lucas are meeting at the arcade in an hour. You in? Over," the voice came out of whatever was on his head. "Can I bring a friend? Over," he looked in my direction and dramatically winked at me causing me to laugh. "Who?"

"She's new in town. I've been showing her around, over," he spoke into the thing while glancing at his watch. "Sure. Over and out," Dustin places the thing back in his backpack. When he had placed it on his back he turned back to me. "You good at any arcade games?" He asked while shuffling a few quarters in his hand. 

I reached into my own backpack and pulled out a handful of quarters. Then turned back to Dustin. He laughed at the causality of the situation. "Honestly I've never tried."

A/N: I'm sorry about that chapter. I think it was really bad. That's why it took me so long to write. I took like six rewrites to actually get a chapter that was even partially good.