Chapter 88: The COVID Series

Last week, there had been talks of medical professionals going on strike in response to the lack of action and support from the government.

The pressure is immense. The border remains open. The government does not give a flying fig. We are crumbling under the patient load, the apathy from higher-ups, the daily anxiety we will meet a lying infected patient and die from their selfishness (and spread it to friends, colleagues, and families), and will be blamed for getting infected even though we are burnt out, exhausted, and unsupported (both mentally and physically; we are running low on infection control equipment).

We are being told to put our lives at stake to put a single plaster to stem a deep, gushing wound.

The union has accumulated over 18k members (HK has approx. 80k healthcare workers), over half of whom have pledged to strike (most of them nurses) if the five demands are not met. The five demands were ignored up to the point of writing this chapter.

The five demands are as follows:

1. To forbid all travelers from entering Hong Kong via China

2. To implement constructive measures to ensure a sufficient supply of masks

Regarding the below three points, the union urges the Hospital Authority to ensure a safe working environment for its staff -

3. To provide sufficient isolation wards, to stop all non-emergency services

4. To provide sufficient support and facilitation for healthcare staff caring for patients under isolation

5. To publicly commit to not taking any disciplinary actions in retaliation

An overwhelming vote by union members on 1 Feb 20 showed workers will proceed to industrial actions if Carrie Lam does not address those concerns.

A planned meeting by frontline staff with Carrie Lam on 2 Feb 20 was cancelled as she refused to attend.

There are those who criticise us from a moral high ground, accusing us of breaking the Hippocratic Oath, saying we are greedy, scared to die, that we do not deserve to be doctors/nurses/healthcare professionals.

To those people, I say: You have no idea what it's like.

I face potentially deadly diseases on a daily basis, helping some of the most vulnerable and sickly. I work hours overtime on a daily basis without complaint. I've burnt out, wept, worked on empty stomachs and bursting bladders, missed important life events for the sake of work.

What has the government done to help our people?

I signed up to save lives. I'm no hero. I didn't sign up to die for people -- and certainly not for this absolutely joke of a government or leadership. And I absolutely refuse to let my family and friends come to harm because of this. I can't look after anyone if I die.

Of course I don't want to die. Who does? Certainly not any of these ill people in hospital. Certainly not the critics when they come to the hospital unwell, seeking medical attention...

But even more, I signed up to help, not to witness in silence as a government allows their own citizens to die whilst placating a leeching, puppet-string-pulling master.

You say I don't deserve to be a doctor? Your judgement does not affect me. I welcome your moral greatness to join the cause. Bear the risk of being infected by a deadly virus. Make life-or-death decisions in the blink of an eye. Go for it. We need the extra manpower.

You say I'm selfish. I'm not striking for better pay or shorter hours (even though I do up to 30 hours on call and over 70 hours per week); I'm not striking to work from home; I'm not striking for extra perks at work. I'm not striking to get out of being drafted into a Dirty Team against my will.

I'm striking for adequate supplies; for a stem to the rushing infected people from mainland when our healthcare system is already crumbling; for a better plan to address an epidemic.

My colleagues and I are concerned for the patients. Of course we are. We have a moral obligation to them. But we are not all abandoning ship. Only half of my hospital is striking. There are always at least two doctors in that hospital. As far as I know, consultant-level doctors are not striking. The hospital will not be empty. Ill inpatients will be seen. Outpatients will have their medications refilled. Some seniors will still be there to run the outpatient department.

Even when we strike, we do it safely out of moral obligation and a sense of responsibility.

But, of course, the critics have no idea.