Ch18 Date P2

The usual blurs of red and pink swirled around and the halls and into the minds of the common and wealthy around the dark world. Infecting their very consciousness on the drunken ecstacy of love so would it seem. The pheromones of roses and fine chocolates seemed endless wafing through the air as an endless stream of love poisoning. It was the grand reason for this very holiday.

Love.

Love can be a powerful thing can it not? He's seen people go to war for the ones they loved. He's seen people do terrible, horrible things in the name of love. It's a powerful emotion. So powerful they had a king named after it after all. But it wasn't just bad things. Good things came from it as well. He'd happily smile at the many happy couples and happy laughter of children running around throwing paper hearts at one another along the halls or happy squeals from the occasional hathy when they receive a love letter or confession from their lovers. It was a beautiful sight he wouldn't deny, but perhaps it might've been a bit much for him sometimes. But on the other hand-

He flipped his hair back and looked back into his mirror. Who could deny his looks? He was rather good looking compared to all the other darkners. Who else had flowing white glowing hair that delicately draped around his perfect eyes and fluttering lashes? Who else could say they had many admires willing to buy something they don't need just to be near him?....Perhaps King Diamonds, but respectfully he was a marvel in his own way. His scales usually sparkled brightly and being the richest of the four kings of course meant he'd have a fair amount of suitors himself hoping to get a piece of his riches and royal status. But the king couldn't compare to the likes of him in other ways. He didn't have the charm or grace he posessed surely. He didn't have the charisma or confidence, or the romantical know-how to woo the lady of his dreams.~ And he had chosen the perfect one to court. Sure. There a few.....difficulties.

One being that she was already courted and dare say.....already married to someone. In technicality he had already lost before he even began, which should've been enough of a red flag for him to stop while he was ahead. To stop himself from doing something stupid- But we all know how the saying goes.

Love is blind.

He had to tell her. Even if she never returned his affections. He could live with the rejection, but he couldn't just keep his emotions about this whole thing up any longer.

Her surprised face when he turned up with an assortment of roses he knew she would like. Smile on his features....A frown on her face and worry in her voice.

"Rouxls. You have to stop this. You don't understand what this could do. Do you understand me?"

"Rouxls?"

"ROUXLS KAARD!! YOU TRAITOROUS SCUM!!"

****************************************************************************

"Rouxls, Rouxls?"

The worm made a yelp sound and dropped what he had been previously holding. He fell backwards onto his rear and balls of yarn bounced near his feet before going to a stop. His lungs heaved in and out sucking in that sweet air and his eyes blinked blankly at nothing in particular- He flinched and snapped his head up when a hand gently gripped his shoulder, meeting the eyes of a concerned floating purple man who blinked back in confusion.

"Are you alright, alright?"

"W...Wha-," was all he could get out in his confused stupor.

"You looked frightened, frightened?" His head tilted to the side and blinked. "Like Lancer when his nightlight went out. Are you alright, alright?"

He froze when Rouxls pulled his shoulder away from him and averted his eyes. "I-...I willst best f-fine....Nothing that hasn't happened before."

Jevil's eyebrows rose. Nothing that hasn't happened before? Does he just freeze up every time someone asks him on a date? A pit of guilt suddenly made itself present in his stomach and his eyes widened in a sudden thought. Did-...Did he do something wrong? No, no. He couldn't have! He followed the steps Seam had told him to follow during their little truce. Professional, polite, helpful- Didn't he do everything right? ..Did those little remarks during candy picking sent him the wrong impression? Rouxls slowly shifted getting Jevil's attention directed back towards him. The worm slowly reached a hand out and shakily grabbed onto the counter the register sat upon, Jevil reached his hands out as if to help, but a blue hand was held up to stop him. Rouxls took a shaky breath in and released it slowly with a shudder, carefully pulling himself up to his feet. His legs felt like jello and he worried he might fall over again, but he put on a stern brave face and forced himself to stay still. He remained silent for a moment. ...Hands on the counter. Eyes closed. And taking a few deep breaths.
Jevil watched it all with a very confused look....What was that all about?

Rouxls tilted his head down towards his feet silently, catching the attention of the floating clown. Staring at the few balls of yarn that he had dropped. Ever so silently, he slowly turned his body and reached down to pick up the wool strands off the floor. ".....I-" Jevil flinched at the eerily calm voice of the worm. Didn't he just have a scare a few moments ago? "-apologize for mine rude reaction. I amst usually not l-likest that around ....c-coworkers."

Jevil tilted his head. Coworkers? ....Oh. Lancer did give him his royal title of Court Jester back, he guessed that did make them coworkers. But wait. ....Did that mean that-? His stomach instantly dropped when the thought hit him. Did Rouxls not see him as anything but another co-worker? Is that why he never...returned his own affection because he saw their relationship as nothing but 'professional'?! Is THAT why he was so angry all the time? Because he always saw it as 'unprofessional behavior'?! His ears dropped as he looked back to the worm who had stood back up. He gave the yarn a tired look before turning back to the counter and setting them within their proper place silently.

"....Rouxls,Rouxls?"

He paused. "Yes, Jevil?

Rouxls gave a small look over his shoulder to address his attention to Jevil, who smiled weakly at him. "Um.....Did you hear , hear my question?...Question."

A pause-

Rouxls sighed. The kind of sigh that sounded tired and done. "Yes. Yes, Jevil. I did."

He gulped. "And...what does the Duke, Duke think?"

Silence.

".....I-" He looked back towards the counter. "I..think now may be a...n-not so good time to do anythinge of the sort. I-...I amst sor-"

He stopped when he felt something latch onto him. Freezing up on instinct. Soul starting to thump hard against his chest, something curled into his back and something muscular coiled his upper arm from behind. His body reacted in his pupils shrinking and his ears drooping....Something pressed into the back on his shoulder and..he slowly turned his head-

Jevil was- ....He was- Soul thumping hard- A flushed feeling washing over him. As Jevil....hugged(??) him. Well...maybe hugging. He was looking at him with a uncertain expression and his arm were around his upper back and tail found it's way around his upper left arm. The two stared at each other for a moment before Jevil cleared his throat.

"It...Looked like you could use a hug,hug." He dared to give a uncertain smile. "The young prince told me of your sadness, sadness....He told me a hug, hug always made you feel better."

Rouxls just stared at Jevil for a long moment. Just staring silently. Jevil's smile slightly faded, had he had something wrong, maybe he shouldn't have done this. But upon questioning the young boy about his father's habits, he said he always loved his hugs. Didn't he enjoy them from his destined soulmate too? "Heh" Jevil's train of thought was derailed when he heard that one small chuckle escape from the Duke's lips. Followed by another...And another- The duke chuckled to him self and shook his head, laying his upper body onto the counter by this elbows. A...smile on his face. And not the nervous kind!

"Thou art a funny man, Jevil." Another chuckle escaped from his mouth and one of his hands came up to rub over his face and push some of that snowy white hair away from his forehead. "I nay believe I'll ever understand thee but thou art a....undeterred little worm."

"...Does this mean Im forgiven, f-forgiven?" He took his face from his hands and turned to give Jevil that smile. The jester's soul thumped harder when he gave what he finally wanted.

A smile of true happiness.

"I supposeth so. Considering thou willst be more considerate to mine....p-personal pereferences?" Jevil was too eagerly to nod his head yes against Rouxls's shoulder, settling down into his space perched upon him and letting out a content purr sound. ..Which made the duke do a double take- The fool could PURR?! "...Art thou going to just stayest there for the rest of thine day?"

Jevil hummed cracking an eye open at him. "It depends, depends. Maybe I can be convinced to go somewhere else, else if my previous question is answered, answered."

A look of confusion is what he got. Question? WHat questi- Oh. ...Right. The thought of going on a date with anyone was enough to make him tired, but ...with Jevil? Well he guessed he should've seen it coming. Rouxls's had suspected Jevil had wanted to ask him to the ball from the very beginning, but a wrench was from into the works when Seam beat him to it-...Wait. Did that mean that Seam tricked him into inviting him?! That sneaking old cat! Oh he would definitely be having a talk with Seam later about this whole thing, but right now he had another thing to worry about. And the question that needs answering is....Would he do that?

One look in the jester's hopeful bright eyes and wagging end of his tail, compiled with the thrumming purring coming from his throat and nuzzling into his shoulder- ....His soul gave a throb and without a second of self control he gave possibly the greatest or worst answer he could have given.

"Yes."

He froze. There it was. All out without his control. Jevil on the other hand gasped, his mouth wide open, eyes widening until they looked like two golden coins against the black of the whites of his eyes. Before contorting his mouth into a happy smile, a happy whine escaping his throat, the end of his tail thumped relentlessly against part of his arm. By the way Jevil stared at him, you would think he just agreed to marry the fool. His smile became wider. Mind racing with: Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, oh crap-

Ding!

The front door suddenly flew open and standing in the doorway was a common rudinn guard, he gave the two a confused look and they just stared back awkwardly. After a few seconds, Rouxls cleared his throat and gave the rudinn one of his signature smiles as a greeting.

"Greetings! I amst sorry but mine shop tis closed for restock and repairs. Funny that didst not deter thee.~ " He gave a small wink to the random guard who flushed a light green and stutter a small 'uh' to the Duke's flirtacious words. Jevil however gave them his own jealous filled glare. "Art thou one of mine admirers, Worm?~ ...ACK-"

Jevil climbed higher onto Rouxls shoulder and gave a hug that pressed both their cheeks together. "Hehehe. Im your admirer, admirer.~"

Rouxls gave a strained smile and cleared his throat again. "Thank thee Jevil, but I do believe this is unprofessional in front of mine dear customers." His voice sounded slightly irritated.

"Oh. But where's the fun, fun in that?"

Rouxls opened his mouth to speak, but that was cut short when he felt Jevil not so secretly place a kiss to his neck near his jaw line, staring at the Rudinn, who already looked weirded out enough as it was and only felt weirded, with a jealous narrowed glare. As if to dare the newcomer to just try something sneeky. ..What really resulted was the duke giving a high pitched girly squeal and a hand flying up to push the invader's face away from his. Jevil giggled at the new game of keep away and turned his face into the blue hand that was pushing his cheek and giving it a small peck. ROuxls gave an undignified yelp and pulled his hand away with a light blue already spreading across his face.

"Jevil you...you...SNAIL!," he yelled in a squeaky high pitched voice.

The Rudinn slowly slithered backwards out of the shop, the two arguing among themselves, they didn't notice the sound of the bell jingling or the sound of the door closing.