vii

❦

"Yeah, sure. We can talk." She replied to Miles, straightening her posture. She wanted to know about this fascinating man and what he had to do with anything in this whole ordeal.

"I don't know how to say this nicely, but that's my friend. You know...," Miles said, shrugging one shoulder half-heartedly. Y/n had picked up that Miles didn't really want to talk about this, that this was something close to his heart. She didn't want him to tell her stuff just because he had to, she wanted Miles to tell her stuff because he wanted to. Y/n wanted to be close to Miles, but she'd never met anyone like him, so he was hard for her to understand. Therefore, communication was key for the two of them.

"The one that's haunting us." Y/n finished, nodding her head slowly. She still didn't comprehend where she herself fell into place with this whole thing. Why was this man haunting her too?

"You know, Miles. You don't have to tell me this stuff if you don't want to." Y/n explained. She decided that if she wanted Miles to trust her, she'd be willing to do what Miles himself is comfortable with. Whether that means Miles ranting to her 24/7 (which was most luckily not going to happen at this pace), or him sitting in his room with no socializing for days on end. Y/n was okay either way, as long as it meant Miles wasn't forced to do stuff he didn't want to.

"I have to." Miles said. There was that word again. That little word that Y/n dreaded so much. Have. It shouldn't bother her as much as it does, yet here she is. If it were anyone else, she didn't think she'd mind as much. However, this is Miles. He's a closed book, one that Y/n couldn't read on the spot. She couldn't pick out if it was curiosity or infatuation that drew her towards the mysterious boy, so she simply pushed it aside and tried not to think about it. Although, something in her knew that it wasn't curiosity.

"I wish you didn't have to tell me things." Y/n blurted out, surprising herself. Then, she decided to just go with the flow. "I want to be friends, Miles. Not just your partner in crime because some shadow-ghost thing is haunting us. I want us to bond and I want you, specifically, to be able to come to me with your problems without feeling like you have to." She finished. Miles simply stared at the ground, his jaw set in stone. Y/n hadn't wanted to scare him or annoy him with her little talk, she just wanted to make him feel comfortable around her.

"I can't." Miles spit. It stung like poison in the poor girl's blood. Y/n had known that Miles had the ability to cause pain with words, but she didn't think he'd be able to do it so easily with two tiny words. "Last time I had a friend like that, he died." Y/n knew that Miles was implying the one who was now haunting the two of them, although Miles hadn't said it. She couldn't help the feeling of sympathy that tugged at her heart for the boy in front of her. The amount of pain that he's had to go through. First, he was getting hurt by this ghost-thing at home. Then, he was just shoved off to school, supposed to forget about the person that followed him everywhere, forced to get a decent education. Y/n knew for a fact that she wouldn't have been able to do anything of the sort. 

"Now I can't go anywhere without him on my mind, following, watching my every move. I couldn't possibly put you through something like that with me. Opening myself up to you means putting you at risk. I can't do that." Miles whispered. A soft plinking sound caught Y/n off guard as she stared at Miles. He was silently crying. Y/n scooted closer to him, wrapping her arms around his frail frame just like she had done when when he started freaking out in her room. Only this time, Miles didn't hesitate to entangle his arms with Y/n's, snuggling his face into Y/n's shoulder. An action that Y/n hadn't expected from a boy like him, but she understood that everyone needed comfort, and Y/n just happened to be there when Miles needed some.

So, there they sat, Miles quietly crying into Y/n's shoulder, her heart ripping into pieces at the sight of him crying so humanely. Last time he had cried was because he was angry, but this time, Y/n suspected he was crying because he was scared.

Suddenly, Miles lifted his head up, staring into Y/n's eyes. Their eyes maintained eye contact for a good while. Miles' eyes flickered between both of Y/n's and occasionally her lips. Slowly, without realizing it, they both started leaning in. Something in Y/n stirred. The motion had felt so right in her mind, as if they were supposed to be holding each other this way, Miles' breath prominent on Y/n's own lips. Y/n moved her arms to rest on Miles' shoulders, the trace of a slight smile on her face as their lips were barely touching. It was as if they were one. Their hearts beating to the same tune, their bodies moving in sync.

"Miles." Y/n whispered, not wanting to ruin the tender moment. However, a rustling caught both of their attention, causing them to tear apart from each other. Then, the books on Miles' bookshelf started flying off of the shelf, one by one. It was as if someone was tearing them right off the shelf, chucking them at the two confused kids. One went speeding across the room, right in the direction of Miles. Before Y/n could do anything, the boy in front of her was struck in the head with a book, causing Y/n to scream out in fear.

"What happened?" Kate yelled, rushing into the room. Kate's eyes widened when she saw Miles laying on her bed, red seeping into his sheets.

Quickly, Y/n was grabbed by the arm and escorted out of the room. 

"I told him to stay away from you! Why were you with him!?" Kate spat at Y/n, Y/n's eyes now watering. They girl quickly yanked her arm out of her older sister's grasp, ignoring the question that had been asked. Kate glared at her before going back into Miles' room to deal with the injured boy.

Y/n ran back to her room, slamming the door behind her, her heart racing. She wanted Miles to be next to her to calm her down by knocking some sense into her, but she also wanted to be in his embrace again. She wanted him to be okay.

"Please, please, please." Y/n begged. Despite not believing in a god, she prayed to every and any god out that that Miles would be okay. Her heart yearned to see Miles that close up again. Her heart swooned as she remembered just how many freckles had been splattered across Miles' face–like stars and constellations in a galaxy. How pretty had had looked with his lips parted and his eyes boring into hers. She'd noticed that his eyes weren't just dark brown, but there were specks of green and even a ring of faint gold wrapped around his pupils. 

Y/n sighed and flopped down on her bed, her head spinning with thoughts of Miles. It was then she realized what was happening to her. Why she longed for Miles when he was gone, why she was attracted to his handsome face, why she wanted to hug and hold him like she'd down just recently.

Y/n was undeniably, hopelessly in love with Miles Fairchild. And she was perfectly okay with it.

[words : 1330]