Mini Scene 2: The Wanderer

This was the second time I've had this feeling. A feeling of importance.

And I felt it as I wandered upon a sturdy man with dusty brown hair and a scarred eye.

Another person, deep in these woods, with a scar on his eye, yet looks like he was not recently in a fight... I thought to myself.

He crunched the grass below his feet as he walked forward, pulling a wagon with box loads of supplies, and two horses following.

I stepped forward, interested.

Almost immediately he recognized me. "Lady Irene of Scaleswind!" he exclaimed in a gruff voice. He clumsy fell back making his horse rear up behind him.

I shook my head and said, "Please, just call me Irene."

The man stared at me and said in his gruff voice, "Uh, okay."

I guestered to him to continue walking and he hesitantly moved past me. Then his shock suddenly cleared and looked towards me urgently.

"Lady Irene, we have to hurry. The Southern Werewolf Tribe is nearby, and they do not have the best relations with humans."

He was a lot more intelligent than he looked, I realized.

Nodding, I fingered the sword at my side, wondering if I should unsheath it.

Aroooooooooooo...

A werewolf's cry rang through the trees. My breath grew shallow.

"Let's go."

We ran towards the setting sun above, the wagon creaking with every pull. The horses wide eyes were big with fear.

And then we reached a huge clearing.

Trees disappeared off the sides.

A growl sounded behind us.

The biggest creature I have ever seen trampled out on two legs, like a mix of wolf and human. A lycanthrope.

Dark grey fur covered it, and two sharp yellow eyes stared at me.

I felt terrified.

Then suddenly a miracle happened.

The werewolf said one word slowly in a deep voice.

"Raven..."

It hesitated, eyes unreadable.

Then in an instant, it was next to me, slashing at the wagon and horses. They kicked and neighed but it was no use. They had given their life to the werewolf.

The materials spilled onto the ground. Baskets of fruits and meat were ruined.

And with one last look at me, it turned around with his broad shoulders and lumped back into the trees.

The forest was silent and dark. Only breathing was heard.

"Thank Yunalesca," the scarred man sighed out a breath of relief. "What happened? Why did he say 'raven'? Why didn't he attack us?"

I shook my head, realizing I did not know the answer to any of his questions.

A werewolf. What a mysterious creature.