Mini Scene 4: Warm Aura (POV: Irene)

A Few Days Later

I sat on the grass, meditating, letting my mind slow.

Wind blew gently, and goosebumps settled on my skin.

Any worries I had slipped from my mind. I just needed to harness power, enough to propel me through the day.

Melodies winded through the grass.

Then abrupt footsteps sounded. I looked up and saw green eyes and white hair staring over me.

"Hey, Irene," he smiled, eyes genuine.

I turned around and smiled back at Enki, who gazed at me warmly.

The sight of him again, us alone, suddenly brought me jerking back to when we first started this journey.

Back then, I was still new to this world. Born out of nothing.

The only one who had guided me was Enki.

Suddenly I felt a shoulder bump me out of my daydream. Enki glanced at me, "What are you thinking about?"

I gazed over the grassy field and nodded. "Memories."

I felt his warm hand grasp mine, and I relaxed.

We stood, side by side, staring at the setting sun, feeling each other's warm auras surrounding.

I always knew I could rely on Enki to make me feel welcome in this world again.

Then he spoke, "Irene, I wanted to ask you something." His voice was light, but had a deeper twist to it.

"Yes?"

"What is... our relationship with each other?" His smooth hesitant voice slid through my ears.

"Relationship?..." I was confused. "What do you mean..."

Enki grasped my hand tighter, but I edged back a little. He lowered his head.

"Do you... love me?"

I grasped for words uncertainty, surprised by his straight forwardness. "I can't feel any emotions of love," I responded slowly.

He smiled gently at me, and continued, "I mean before this all happened. Did you love me?"

I stepped backwards again. The grip in my hand suddenly felt colder. Did he not understand what was about to happen?

I should be preparing my power, ready to find and trap Shad at any moment.

But I responded, "Of course, I love all the Divine Warriors, Scaleswind-"

"No, I mean, did you love me." Enki broke in firmly.

I finally twisted away from his grasp and stared into his eyes.

"This isn't the time for this Enki. I have a duty, a job I need-"

Enki interrupted me again, "Irene, please just listen to me."

I stopped talking and waited for him.

"We are more than just friends right?"

His words pierced through my heart even more than they should have.

Not because I had no emotion. Not because I wanted to say we were just friends. But because somewhere inside, I was disappointed at Enki for thinking of only himself in this crucial moment, where I had to stand strong to defeat an enemy, the true enemy who I loved.

His warm aura dispersed, becoming desolate.