Scene 13: The Witch (POV: Irene)

A long time later

I entered the dark forest and it's branches welcomed me in. I sensed a human being in these woods, one of great power and determination.

Who is it? I thought, my curiosity grew. I ignored the ball of emptiness in the back of my mind.

I'm better than it, I reminded myself. My time alone in my dimension had helped me meditate out of the emptiness.

I counted 400 more steps until I finally reached an overlooking brown cottage. There were cobwebs in the cracks of the house, and it looked old but lived in.

With hesitation, I crept forward quietly, trying to spot any living being that inhabited this place.

But before I got far, a click sounded under my feet. Immediately, six giant golem-like earth creatures appeared in a flash and surrounded me.

"What?!" A small shriek escaped me, even as I tried to keep my composure.

An old lady wearing a light purple scarf and a black witch hat suddenly appeared next to the golem in front of me. Her face squinted in disgust as she saw me.

"What are you doing in MY FOREST?" She shouted with fury in her eyes. "Tell me your name or I'll have my familiars rip you apart!"

I stood up tall and tried to look regal. "I am Irene. I trave-... traveled around the world bringing peace to the lands. I stumbled upon your forest here, and I want to know more about it."

I was indeed quite interested in the dark place, it's roads twisting and turning, cross forks every 50 steps. It seemed like a maze.

The witch still looked furious, so I attempted to backtrack, "Although of course, if you do not want me here, then I will leave."

I stepped backwards, eyeing the forest golems behind me wearily.

Suddenly the elderly witch spoke again, "Wait, you are Irene? I have heard about you. You have brought good to many villages and creatures have you not?" Her light blue eyes dug deep into mine.

"I thought you had disappeared from this world," she continued.

I nodded, trying to ignore her piercing stare and concentrate on her crackly old voice, pure white hair, and plain gray shirt instead.

"Good, then you are not like those other disgusting humans. They are harmful to nature, and they don't care about anyone besides themselves."

I didn't argue, for I, myself, have seen people like that throughout my journeys, but I also knew that there were many people who cared deeply about the world.

The witch continued, "My name is Hyria, and I have a favor to ask of you. Please come inside." She gestured to her ancient looking house.

With a snap of the witch's fingers, the golems went back to hiding in the shadows around the front of her cottage.

I quickly followed her inside her house, eager to be away from the witch's familiars.

As we walked inside of the witch's tower, I noticed that Hyria had almost a defeated air to her. She did look very elderly and old, but I believed no amount of time would cause someone to completely give up on life.

Hyria turned to face me and answered the question I had in my mind.

"I have lived for over 600 years. My appearance, believe it or not, has not changed drastically, but my mind has oldened and wandered"

I stared at the witch with newfound respect. "600 years? That is a very long time. How is that even possible?"

Once again, she fixed her sky blue stare onto me, and I looked away. "You forget I am a witch my darling."