Scene 7: Esmund's Confession (POV: Esmund)

I was helpless. Broken.

Every time I saw her, my heart fluttered in my chest.

Every time I touch her, I want to stay with her forever.

I was her guardian, her light. Weren't we meant to be?

I shook away my thoughts as the Divine Warriors reached the large gate. Phoenix Drop, Nakhara, and Meteli guards were streaming past us, swords out and shields ready.

I took out my own golden shield and it clanged against my knights armor. I was ready.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Irene step forward to meet the royal. My father.

"Do you not value the lives of your village? Stop this battle, and an agreement will come peacefully in time," her angelic voice rang out and the battlefield became quiet.

The king glared at Irene and spat at her. "There has been chaos and mixing for too long. We need a strong ruler. It is ME and will always be me. I made O'Khasis strong. I will lead us to victory!"

Enki, Menphia, Kul'zak, Shad, and I walked over to Irene and stood by her side, our swords out.

Before any of us could say a word though, the king raised his own sword. "Attack these brutal heartless monsters! Make them wish they were never alive!" He shouted with anger.

Hundreds of guards swarmed from inside the gates to meet our own guards. With a shout, the two sides rushed at each other and began to fight.

I saw swords clash. I heard yelps of pain. But this was my life.

With my own battlecry, I rushed into the army and started swinging my sword. One by one, people fell to my sword, but I made sure not to kill any of them.

"Surrender now!" I bellowed into a skinny guard's face. His dark blue eyes, the same color as mine, trembled with fear as I held him up by his helm.

Then a call of fear distracted me.

"Stop please. Stop now! I command you."

I turned to see Irene backing away from the corrupt king, who had a black obsidian sword high above his head.

I heard him speak. "My my, a puny king like me defeating Irene? This is going to be written down in history forever isn't it."

And who are you to command me? I am the king of O'khasis. I bow to no one."

The king let a wicked smile settle on his face.

He positioned his sword to Irene's throat.

"Such a shame. You're a beautiful young maiden you know. I would have loved for us to have been something together." He let the flat of his sword touch Irene's neck and up to her face.

Irene closed her eyes, but I could see the anger in her fists.

My blood boiled. I rushed towards them silently. I couldn't see any of the other Divine Warriors. I would have to do this on my own.

"Get away from her!" I struck out a deadly thrust to the king's arm. His sword clattered to the ground, and he howled in pain.

Clutching his arm, the king crouched over on the ground and coughed up a pool of blood. I glared at the back of his head, then looked over at Irene.

She was staring at the man, and I thought I saw a hint of disbelief in her golden eyes.

"M'lady, are you alright?" I offered a hand to her.