Short Story: Close to Freedom

Her eyes widened, and her pupils dilated to let in as much light as possible. The dark forest around her was eerily silent. No matter how hard she strained to hear, the comforting sound of crickets never came. Suddenly, a twig snapped. Her body tensed, frozen to the place she stood. She took in short, shallow breaths as she gazed at the man in front of her. Only one coherent thought went through her mind: 'run.'

She leaped over rocks and fallen trees, ducked under low hung branches. She weaved an intricate path through the trees to throw off her pursuer. The way her lungs ached, the way her legs trembled from overuse, the cuts, and bruises on her bare feet, all afterthoughts in her desperation. Pure, unfiltered adrenaline pulsed through her veins like a heartbeat. Together with instinct and primal fear, her senses guided her. Jump, turn right, duck, turn left, jump again. Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum. Like the steady beat of a drum, her heart raced as she fled for her life.

Another turn around an old oak causes her to trip over an unforeseen root. Her ankle throbbed as she scrambled to her feet. She clutched the cut on her arm in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding as she limped away. The adrenaline was slowly driven out by the pain. Now, every fiber of her being was telling her to stop. The clearness in her head replaced by panic.

A hand grabbed her shoulder and abruptly pulled her back. She fell into a hard chest that rumbled with malicious laughter. As arms twice the size of her own snaked around her waist, her body went limp. He didn't need to look at her face to know that all hope of escape from him had shattered. There was no use in a struggle. He had won, and she was never going to leave him again.

(Written: 1/2/20)