Chapter Four

"Here ya go," Magna says, holding out a Black Bulls cape. "You earned this fair and square, Asta." Said blonde just stares at it, flushing and looking like he's about to cry. "What, you don't want it?"

"NO! I DO! I DO! I DO!" Once he recieves the cape, he holds it up in the night sky, as if he can see it better... Dumbass. "This is really mine."

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Nessa smiles. "Let's see how it looks." Using her wand, Vanessa places the cape on Asta with her Thread Magic and reset the design on his headband to a Black Bull logo. "And now, for the finishing touch."

"Hey! It looks pretty good on you," Magna admits. "Right, Yami?"

I nod with him with a dopey grin.

"I don't think it's his color," Dad says, taking a puff of his cigarette.

"It's official now: you're one of us. You're a member of the Black Bulls. Don't do anything that would bring shame to Yami and Ko or to the Black Bulls."

"UNDERSTOOD! I'M SO GLAD TO BE A PART OF THIS TEAM! YEAH!"

"Shut up, kid," Yami glowers with his dangerous look.

"I'm sorry! I'll be more careful from now on, sir!" amends Asta.

"What part of 'shut up' do you not understand?" Magna rages.

"Wait, why doesn't Koneko have a baptism?"

"Well," Magna rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "Ko has actually been in the Black Bulls as long as Yami. I mean, she's his adopted daughter, so she was here when the Black Bulls were found."

"Not to mention she would kick Magna's butt!" Luck cheers.

I snicker at the comment, high-fiving Luck not all discretely as Magna yells out a "HEY!"

"Wait, she's adopted?" Man, this kid really is clueless.

"How old do you think Dad is anyway? He would have had me with a woman when he was, like, eleven."

Yami rolls his eyes before heading inside. My mana tingles, and I meet the eyes of the other new recruit on the balcony. I yawn loudly, following Dad inside. I, however, take a detour to Dad's room while he makes a beeline for the toilet.

"G'night, Dad."

He grunts at me, but I know that was him acknowledging me.

Rubbing my eyes, I curl up on my side of the bed. We share a room only at night because Dad knows how to quell the nightmares that accompany my magic. My constant state of exhaustion comes from the magic-suppressors, but my magic comes through at night, giving me horrible nightmares about the possible futures that I can't remember the next day.

My actual room is next door, not in the woman's hall. I keep my swords, equipment, books, and clothes in there, while I sleep and nap with Daddy. Besides, I know Dad will kick and expel anyone's ass who tries to peep on me in the bathing room or in my bedroom.

The faint rumbling of Dad and my pets in the floors below make for a soft lullaby that I drifted off to. I don't recall Dad coming to bed, but that was the first night in a long while that I was able to sleep peacefully the entire night.

Softly, the ground rumbles as if someone ran into one of its pillars; it wasn't much, but it woke me up. I slither carefully out of Dad's caging arms.

Not, that I would tell anyone ever, but Daddy is secretly a sleep cuddler.

I make my way to my room next door, stretching, scratching, and farting the entire way. As I dress, I hear Dad thumping around from the stone walls. Knowing him, he's on his way to go to the bathroom after he changes from his pajama bottoms I make him wear.