Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Jealous Gifts

During a recess of the day's council meeting, Ferya sat down on a bench outside to open the two gifts she had received that morning. She hadn't mentioned to anyone that it was her birthday, as it was a date that she only half acknowledged, having been no cause for celebration since her early childhood.

She tugged open the small cloth bag Gavin had given her, grinning as she pulled out two expertly carved wooden figurines. It was her and Murchadh, complete with wings and the little weapons carved into the figure's respective backs. She grinned as she rubbed her thumb over the smooth wood for a moment before slipping them into her pocket.

Before, when Gavin wasn't killing time napping in her bakery, he would carve things as he kept her company. She had missed his presence the last few months, only seeing him for a few moments here or there in passing.

But he looked so proud, so at ease with himself as he walked in uniform, with weapons other than his own claws and fangs. Gavin had a confidence to him now that she hadn't realized he was missing.

It was a strength that seemed to come from having a purpose, Ferya supposed. His partner was a demon she recognized as one who had sometimes been around Baltha and a well-hidden wink from Mesna had reassured her of the demon's intentions. Every time her friend looked at the man, he got a scowl, but Ferya half suspected that was an act. Mesna would keep Gavin safe.

With a smile to herself, she took the small box that Murchadh had given her in both hands and turned it slowly, looking at the simple blue paper wrapped over it and the delicate white bow that had been tied around it. She did not know how Murchadh or Gavin had figured out what her birthday was, nor what Murchadh could have gotten her, but she delighted in the anticipation of finding out and delayed a little longer.

After allowing the excitement to build, she grinned and carefully opened the paper, sliding out a wooden box with carvings in it that looked to be Tuath Dé, scribed into the wood itself.

"It's beautiful." Ferya murmured softly, before gently cracking the box open.

The top half of the box lifted on a hinge to reveal a felt lined interior with a silver ring in it. It was mostly plain from a distance, though on closer inspection she could see more of Murchadh's language scrawled into the metal. On the top, the metal was formed into feathered wings, the centre of which contained a small teal stone that thrummed with Murchadh's power.

"It's silly. But I saw it and thought of you." Murchadh had approached at some point while she was inspecting it and was standing a few feet away from him, his voice low. "It's just a heart's blessing that's inscribed in it. The stone does much the same thing that your bracelet did."

"I love it." She smiled and put the box to the side before she stood, knocking the paper to the ground in her rush to him. Laughing, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, grinning into his chest as he returned the embrace and held her close. "It's beautiful. More than you had to get me."

Murchadh shook his head and held her, ducking his face to press it into her hair and taking in a slow breath. "Happy birthday, Ferya. I love you."

Ferya blushed and shifted to kiss his cheek, turning to look at him, grinning when he lifted his head to regard her as well. "I love you too."

"Do I show you enough?" He tilted his head to the side, eyes flickering over her face. "I'm not as... expressive as some..."

"You are." She smiled at him. "You do. Because you show it in your way and I know what to look for. You show me every day and I feel luckier than I deserve for it. But I have two questions."

Murchadh grinned, wide enough that his happiness danced in those turquoise eyes of his, before inclining his head and solemnly murmured. "Of course."

Ferya reached up to toy with the end of his braid, grinning right back to him. "How did you figure out it was my birthday? Gavin wouldn't tell me."