Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Dates

It was Gavin's first actual day off in over three months.

For someone who had not worked a consistent job his entire life, it was no small feat. He had not realized that the day had arrived until he woke up a few hours before, blinking in the afternoon sunshine and wondering how long he had until he needed to be ready for work.

When he realized he had finished a night shift and had four days off, he had curled back up in his bed and dozed happily in the sunshine, letting it warm his fur. He was Night Kin, but as a cat, he enjoyed the warmth of that perfect spot of golden light.

Then he remembered that he had agreed to meet Eviaus and frowned to himself. Not because he was upset. No, that would have been normal. He frowned because he had felt a thrill of excitement over the fact that he was going to see the nymph again.

So much so that he was up and ready with far too much time to spare and had killed the rest of the time by whittling a small seashell out of wood.

Gavin slipped his hand into his pocket, his fingers brushing over the rippled details of the shell as he walked up the steps into the coffee shop. He yawned as his body relaxed into the familiar smells of Sinfully Delicious, glancing around and seeing the shop relatively full, with both day and night kin mingling in the hours where both were comfortable being awake.

"Ferya hasn't come back yet. I think the council meeting is still in session." The girl behind the counter offered.

She was a new one that he had only seen a couple of times now.

"Just a coffee and a butter tart, please." He offered carefully, fighting his disappointment. If Ferya was still busy, that meant that Eviaus still was as well. And if the meeting was going overtime, he couldn't imagine the man to be in the mood for a date after a long day of arguing politics by the hot winded angels.

Hot winded? Was that even a thing? Gavin shook his head at his inane thought and grabbed his order before moving to take the last free table, thankfully off to the side of the counter and the door.

Gavin was taking his first bite of the tart, grinning happily to himself, when he saw a shifter he recognized walking through the door. The man walked around like he could shift into some fearsome beast and hunted to survive, but Gavin could smell the herbivore on him from a mile away. The guy also enjoyed speaking his mind, despite the fact that no one really gave two shits about his opinions, or perhaps because no one did, looking to get into arguments for the sheer sake of being able to hear himself talk.

Settling in to enjoying his coffee and treat, Gavin glanced around the rest of the shop, then over to the windows, where he watched the sun slowly set through the tinted demon-proof glass. He wondered how long he should wait on the nymph before he looked absolutely ridiculous and was near the bottom of his coffee when he heard that grating voice finally begin his attack on the poor girl behind the counter.

"These sticky buns don't have raisins in them." The shifter had finished most of the bun he had ordered, leaving only a small crust on the plate he slid back toward the human.

She frowned down at it, then looked back up at the man. "They're not supposed to."

Gavin let out a slow breath, knowing what was coming, gritting his teeth as he saw the man draw himself up.

"I would enjoy them a whole bunch more if they had raisins in them. It would make more sense. They should have raisins and icing." The shifter argued, "I simply can't recommend this place to anyone, knowing that you don't know how to make a simple sticky bun."

"To be honest, everyone else enjoys them. This is the recipe." The girl offered. "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it."

"I have the right to voice my opinions. I think there should be raisins." He persisted.

icon lock

Show your support for Jaci Calemonte, and continue reading this story

by Jaci Calemonte
@BksbyBkr
Earth and the Eight realms are cut adrift from the network of realiti...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 41 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @BksbyBkr.