Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Cooking Lessons

The day after Ferya's birthday, Lucifer and Lokael arrived at her place as promised, though neither man was impressed by her insistence on using power during the cooking lesson. But both of them, despite the eons of life between them, listened and followed her instructions with minor complaint.

Adding in the last of the ingredients to the bowl, Ferya began mixing the dough with her hands, looking up to see Lokael and Lucifer watching her with pained expressions on their faces. "What?"

Lokael lifted the recipe book they were working out of, pointing to the page in question. "Why do you even use this at all?"

"It's a rough guide." Ferya laughed and shook her head before pulling out the dough and flattening it with a rolling pin. "Can you get the meat?"

"Cooking and baking are exact sciences, it's about chemistry and delicate balances and you are a force of chaos." Lucifer shook his head in dismay, but he grabbed the roast out of the fridge and carried it over to her.

Ferya shrugged as she focused on what she was doing, appreciating the physical process of baking. It was infinitely easier to have things turn out when one didn't use magic around the food, especially with baking. Ferya half expected that it was why neither of the men in front of her could cook or bake very well, judging by how hard it was for them to remember to do anything without the aid of their power.

Even when they were working in their forges, the two of them used magic to fetch things or stoke flames, leaving them frustrated with having to tie aprons on and actually use their hands for such simple tasks as cutting vegetables or basting meat.

"Don't you hate chaos?" She teased, offering Lucifer a grin.

She watched as her father delicate basted the dough with the egg white mixture before putting the parcel into the prepared baking dish. After putting on mitts, she picked up the dish and slid it into the oven that Lucifer had opened for her.

Only once they were relaxing back against the counter and waiting for the food to cook did Lucifer offer a thoughtful shrug. "I don't dislike chaos. There is a certain amount of it that is needed to create change. Chaos is a catalyst. I dislike imbalance."

"And there's a difference between imbalance and chaos?" Ferya watched as Lokael grabbed a bottle of wine and frowned at it.

Her father looked tempted to use his power, but with one glance to her he sighed and picked up the corkscrew while answering. "An imbalance makes life impossible. Not immediately, but too much of anything is not healthy. Chaos is part of the cycle of life."

"I am rigid, orderly, because of how chaotic darkness is." Lucifer nodded, smirking at his son, before shaking his head and turning to hunt through her cupboards. "Do you not have any proper glasses?"

"I have cups." She offered and opened one cupboard he had already opened, exposing a mismatched set of mugs, glasses, and plastic cups.

The look Lucifer gave her was pained before he held up a hand and walked out of the kitchen. Ferya's father finally wiggled the cork out of the bottle with a look of exasperation. "All this for food that we could have delivered to us, or summoned from our kitchens."

"It tastes better when someone you love makes it." Ferya offered a shrug and shifted onto her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "Why aren't angels more chaotic if their power is light and orderly?"

"Because the angels aren't as good at recognizing a need for balance." Lucifer offered as he walked back into the room, carrying three glasses. He gave Lokael a thoughtful look, though his son merely offered a shrug. "They didn't need to be. We weren't... originally created to rule, or to worry about such far-reaching consequences. Angels are orderly creatures of light because that's what they were created to be."