Chapter 7 - The Camp Follower

"So, Werdas, would you happen to have a copy of The Radiance that I could read? I do not wish to be alone tonight in my cold bed," said Gerran loudly, undoubtedly for Aerham's benefit.

Aerham rode in silence as the three men burst into laughter for the fifth time. He had control of his anger. Let them laugh. They were nothing to him. He would be a Brother of the Sun soon and he would show them what it meant to live by the teachings of the Lady of Light, and woe to them if they chose to stray from the path then.

"There is a farm ahead on the left, I think," Gendis said uncertainly. "We can ask there."

What would a farmer know about finding a woman for Uth Garenthil? Likely every man back at the inn would have known. Aerham didn't ask questions, though. He only watched Gendis dismount, knock on the door of a small cottage, and speak with a balding, elderly man in a nightshirt before climbing back on his horse.

"We're in luck," Gendis announced. "Just down the road a bit. A camp follower."

Gerran and Werdas laughed together.

Aerham followed. He didn't like either of the bannermen, or Gendis. He wanted to punch them in the face each time they laughed. He wanted to punch them in the face when they weren't laughing, too.

"I wish I was a lord," Werdas mumbled. "Or even a Brother." And he laughed alone. "I buy one woman and I'm broke for a month."

"Maybe you should be a farmer," Gerran suggested. "Then you can have as many cows and sheep as you like and not spend a copper."

"I said woman," Werdas corrected. "Besides, I wouldn't be content to bed your sister and cousins like that."

"Trust me," Gendis added. "I've seen the women you buy. Best stick to cows and sheep and save a few coppers."

The three laughed again.

Aerham was sick of their company and he hated Uth Garenthil for sending him with them. He no longer cared if they bought a prostitute. He was tempted to ride back to the camp and leave them to their filth. Yet, something about the way they laughed bothered him. The whole situation bothered him.

Aerham followed them down the road, veering through a barren field toward a soft, yellow glow marking a home. Aerham could barely make it out in the darkness; a small wooden building, which may have had three or four rooms and a good size for struggling farmers. There were many such homes on his father's lands. They were hard working folk.

"Keep an eye on him," Gendis said to the two bannermen. "I suspect he will be trouble. I wish the Lying had sent him back to camp." His companions snickered.

Aerham felt his pulse rush. Why would they have to watch him? He had not been trouble so far, had he? No, they knew they were doing something wrong. They knew he would not approve. Uth Garenthil wanted him to see whatever it was, though. Was it to teach him? Or out of spite?

Gendis blended into the darkness and Aerham squinted to find him again.

"Hail, friends," Gendis called out. "I am here by the authority of the good senators of Saroken. I am representative of Uth Garenthil the Lion, of the Fortress of Light, Brother of the Sun, and Slayer of Giants. I bid thee open the door and permit me to speak with the master of the house."

Werdas and Gerran burst into stifled chuckles.

Aerham realized that Gendis had said 'the Lying' instead of the 'the Lion' while speaking the titles.

The front door opened a crack and lantern light cut a wedge from the night. A tall man in his forties peeked out before opening the door fully. He wore a plain brown shirt which hung to his knees. His belt was fastened over the shirt, brown pants barely visible where the shirt ended and his knee-high boots began. He held a sturdy broad sword in his right hand, tip resting on the floor. The man didn't look pleased, but he listened to Gendis in silence, nodding.