Chapter 23 - The Trial

Aerham had been tasked to clean the meeting chamber twice as a Learner and he had marveled at the architecture then. Now, the circular chamber could have been a tomb. It stretched sixty paces across and the arched ceiling rose to a circular window, easily five paces across, covered with rectangular plates of glass in a metal frame, blue sky visible above. Heavy tapestries and paintings adorned the walls. Golden sconces held torches every ten paces along the wall. The four entrances to the chamber were set in each of the cardinal directions. In the center of the room sat the most magnificent table Aerham had even seen. It was large and round, shaped from marble blocks which had been smoothed together, easily fifteen paces in diameter. Carved in the center was the symbol of the Brotherhood, spanning one-third of the width; a pair of crossed swords coated in silver resting over a gilded sun.

Chairs of polished wood with high backs and plush cushions surrounded the table and seated in the chairs were twenty-five Brothers of the Sun. They wore their trademark shining plate armor, though most also wore colorful tunics and capes. Both Uth Arthgrin and Uth Garenthil were present. Aerham recognized many others, but knew little more than names and faces.

"Only then shall I cast a vote." A burly Brother stood before his chair and spoke angrily. He wore a blue tunic and over the chest was a golden lightning bolt crossed with a sword. He paused a moment to frown at Aerham and returned his gaze to Uth Arthgrin. "The coin was distributed unfairly to begin with." He sat down in his chair, armor and wood creaking.

It seemed they were discussing other business as well, though Aerham could only guess what it might be. He had hoped that his situation was serious enough to have their full attention. Coin had been mentioned. He shouldn't have been surprised that money would take precedence over justice.

The guards pulled Aerham to the only open area at the side of the table where a chair should have been. He tried to stand proudly as the Brothers studied him. He was, after all, the man they were going to murder. They were all liars and cowards. He met each one of their gazes as he looked around the table. He already knew the verdict, though the trial supposedly wasn't over. His stomach was in knots, though he tried to appear defiant and strong. Nausea swept over him, and he was thankful that he hadn't had enough food in the past week to be able to vomit.

Uth Garenthil stood, stroking an oiled mustache. "Ah, let's put this matter to a final vote. He is a traitor, just like his father."

The burly Brother with the blue tunic jumped to his feet. He was likely in his forties, Aerham guessed, wearing his brown hair in a short ponytail, mustache thick and bushy like his eyebrows. Both hair and mustache were stained with a touch of gray. He growled like an animal before he spoke, drawing the full attention of the chamber. "How was Beuthis Hathaen a traitor?" he demanded. "Your fabrications are getting out of control."

"We sent him to negotiate with the old king of Minogradia and keep the levy in place. He failed to convince the king and he came back as a baron in that same country. Shortly after, he retired from active service." Uth Garenthil stroked his mustache again. "Hence, he is a traitor. What else could you call that?"

Aerham had never heard that story, but he knew his father would never compromise his morals for land or coin. Though it was true that King Eron had given him a decent area of land, placing him under Duke Tarenscu and Count Wintoran's rulership.

The burly Brother rolled his eyes. "You are such-" he began and stopped himself. He smiled at Uth Arthgrin before continuing. "You are mistaken. I believe everyone here knows the truth, even you. I will refresh your memory, just in case. Uth Beuthis Hathaen was sent to Grandink to negotiate with the old king to keep his levy here and continue his tithe. Just before his arrival, three of our Brothers had taken liberties with the king's eldest daughter and fled the country."