Chapter 30 - The Last Brother

The two servants in the driver's seat looked at one another before one responded, "We were told to await Uth Garenthil here, my lord."

"I am meeting you instead," Uth Vaedis informed.

Aerham stood with his hands grasping the bars. It seemed someone was going to free him, one way or another. This must be the will of the Blessed Lady.

"The order came from Uth Arthgrin, my lord," the servant explained meekly. "He said we were to wait for Uth Garenthil and no other."

"You can step down from that wagon or I can cut you down." Uth Vaedis stood straight and his face hardened to reinforce his threat. He meant it.

The soldiers behind the Brother immediately tensed, many of them exchanging concerned expressions and others shrugging to the soldier next to him.

The two servants quickly clambered down from the wagon and moved several paces away. Their faces broadcast the confusion shared by the soldiers.

Aerham wondered what Uth Vaedis intended. His shackles rattled as he turned to scan the courtyard for others. He didn't want the man to join him in chains.

"I will set things right, boy," Uth Vaedis promised. "This is wrong. Their mistreatment of you. There is no honor here." The large man turned to frown at the soldiers. "There is no honor here!" he bellowed at them, causing more than one of them to take a cautious step backward. One soldier fell against the gate.

Uth Vaedis walked to the back of the wagon and gave the cage door a tug to make certain it was locked. "Where is the key?" he demanded of the servants.

"We were not given a key, my lord. We were told to take horses to the wagon and bring it to the frontier gate." The middle-aged servant held up his hands defensively. "And to wait for Uth Garenthil," he added, wincing as he finished the statement. Apparently, even the servants knew how much Uth Vaedis disliked Uth Garenthil.

Aerham sat quietly in the cage. If Uth Vaedis set him free, would the Brotherhood just allow him to walk out? He doubted it. Uth Vaedis seemed ready to fight and he couldn't possibly win against the entire fortress. Aerham looked for more Brothers who might support the cause, but saw only the guards on the wall above the gate, watching the scene with curiosity. It was possible none of them would do anything.

"I will break the lock later," the Brother decided aloud, climbing to the driver's seat. The wagon lurched beneath his great armored weight, wood groaning. He started the horses forward and turned the wagon around, heading back toward the inner courtyard at a hurried pace. As they neared, however, the great doors began to close. Someone was inside the wall working the complex mechanism which controlled them. It was clear that the gates would be completely shut before they reached them.

"Open the gates!" Uth Vaedis barked, standing on the front of the wagon long enough to shout. He stopped the wagon ten paces from the gates.

"Open the gates!"

The great doors began to swing outward.

Aerham was surprised that someone had listened. When the gates had closed, he had assumed it was over. Then he caught a glimpse of the first soldier on the other side. As the opening widened, he saw more. There were at least thirty of Ravyn's Might on the other side with swords drawn and shields held ready.

Uth Vaedis laughed and sat in the driver's seat once more. "Clear a path, you dogs, or I will run you down!" He chuckled and added, "I'll probably run you down either way." His laughter sounded mad rather than amused.

"Uth Vaedis, don't do this," Aerham pleaded, pressing his face to the bars nearest the driver's seat. "I accepted their punishment. This isn't necessary." The situation had deteriorated and the Brother showed no sign of backing down.