VI

My heart started to beat violently as I laid back down, I sensed warmth near me but I had no idea what. I just closed my eyes and pulled the blanket over my arms, the sweat on my brow quickly fading from the cold wind seeing through the stone walls.

My body hummed as a familiar feeling filled my heart and soul, I kept my eyes closed as strange comfort swirled around me. This feeling inside me made my entire body relax, it felt as though someone was watching over me. Tiredness washed over me and I quickly fell in to deep slumber as the harsh winds whipped through my walls. I yawned dramatically and pulled one of my arms out from the blanket, feeling extreme comfort in my own bed.

I reached my arm out expecting to feel the hollow mattress under my arm but I was met with...a solid...something.

I opened my eyes and was stunned to see...

Ben.

I gasped and pulled my arm back quickly, scared at what exactly was happening. His eyes were shut as he slept peacefully by my side, I furrowed my brow and realized our connection was doing this. I watched as his body began to twitch and thrash around sporadically, his own brow furrowed and his face began to contort in to pure anguish and terror. I brushed the hair from my face and stared down at him as he began to pant and clench his fists, he was having a vision just like me.

I took a deep breath and thought about the words that masked man hissed at me, "do you think he needs you?" The voice spit in my ears.

Yes.
Yes he does.
And I need him.

I cautiously reached my hand out toward Ben and hovered it over his chest. I took a deep breath and gently placed my hand on his shoulder, the muscle underneath was nearly obvious. A chill went up my spine from the touch, but it wasn't an uncomfortable chill...more invigorating. I rubbed my thumb along his tense muscles and stared at him with sympathetic eyes.

"Ben...it's ok" I whispered, if he was having the same nightmare as me. He needed to know that the masked man was lying. "Ben, I'm right here...Ben?" I whispered once again, his chest suddenly began to slow its breathing. His fists began to unclench and his face began to soften, I let loose a breath of relief and watched as he began to calm down.

I took a deep breath and removed my hand from his shoulder, I pulled the blanket off my legs and swung them over the side of my bed. I was getting ready to go start a fire and sit by the flames until morning.

But when I went to stand up, my body froze as I felt a hand on top of mine, I whipped around and saw Ben laying down...his eyes soft and pleading toward me. We both just stared at each other as his hand didn't remove itself from mine...I didn't even wish it would've.

His lips parted to say something and I just sat there and waited until he was ready to talk.
"Don't go...please" he said softly, almost whispering. I furrowed my brow and looked down at his hand, still laying on top of mine. I glanced back up at his eyes and saw the pure vulnerability within them, he was scared and didn't want to be alone.

Neither did I.

I gave him a small smile and nodded my head, he slowly pulled his hand off of mine and relaxed his body in to the bed...I knew he wasn't truly there but it felt like he was, it brought me strange comfort.

I pulled my legs back under the blanket I had and stared face up at the ceiling ahead, not truly knowing what to do. I took a shaky breath and kept my eyes trained on the ceiling, "I'm scared..." I confessed quietly, I sensed his eyes on me and I couldn't help but feel tears rising in my own. I heard him take a deep breath and then I felt his hand cautiously reaching for mine. I took in a sharp breath as he was silently asking to hold my hand. without question, I grabbed his hand and intertwined my fingers within his. The feeling of his hand within mine felt right in every way. My heart no longer bested quickly in fear...but in excitement. "Are you scared?" I asked him quietly, I sensed something knew...something I couldn't name at the moment.

"Not anymore" he answered, I felt his thumb run the back of my hand as it had before and my stomach seemingly felt as though it had flipped around. I smiled at the ceiling and felt the tiredness of felt before return, I began to close my eyes as the feeling of Ben's thumb rubbing my hand brought relaxation and sleep to the front thoughts of my mind.

I let out a dramatic breath and just laid in my bed as Ben held my hand. I never thought something like this would happen but now, I honestly didn't want it to end.