Chapter 1 Things Go Wrong

How the fuck did this happen? Pidge frowns trying to concentrate and pinpoint where it all went wrong for her. Was it when she took this assignment? She knew she'd not been in the field, for well, way too long. She huffed out a breath, no that wasn't it. She'd been training regularly; she was probably in better shape a few weeks ago than when she first entered space. Back then she didn't know how to fight at all. Maybe it was being paired up with an alien who seemed to think females were not that smart? Nah, she proved to him the errors of his ways. Many times. In fact, the mission was going fine...until just it wasn't.

Sighing, she thinks it had to be when the battery died on their spacecraft. Yes, before that things were slightly derailed, but it still was salvageable. Now, shit, now she was in trouble. And while she'd been trying to keep her brain occupied, she knows that she's slipping. And the probability of her surviving this fucked up mission was low. So, while she trusted in the intergalactic team she was placed on in theory, she just didn't see them rescuing her or her team in time. In fact, she knew it wasn't going to happen. She could calculate the odds. Sighing she again opened her eyes and cursed human eyesight for sucking so much in dim lighting.

Logically, she knew she needed to push through the pain, hunger, cold and fear so at least her death wasn't completely in vain. She planned on at least giving someone from her team a chance of being rescued. If only she could get her one hand free. She had kept a bone from whatever crap they fed her a week ago. She should be able to escape the cell and at least send a message. That was her best option at this point. Seeing as how they stopped feeding her a few days ago, time was at a premium. At least there was the dirty water. (Sigh) What she wouldn't do for a peanut butter cookie or a slice of pizza. She shook her head and was instantly dizzy, ok, deep breath, patience yields focus, she had things to do. She's trained for this, though, she just didn't think it would happen after the war ended.

Meanwhile, on the Atlas, Shiro was holding an emergency meeting with the remaining Voltron paladins, selected top Garrison and Blade members. All individuals were seated around the conference table, while on a holo call with the organization that lost Pidge. Tension was high, worries and things no one had the guts to verbalize saturated the air, choking them all. Shiro started, "Pidge and her team has been out of communication for at least a week. I was notified this morning, so thanks for everyone getting here so quickly. We have the commander of their organization here and"

Keith interrupts, standing up, and assertively declaring, "NO, no, we aren't acting like this is a standard op rescue mission. Cuz it's not! This is Pidge. PIDGE! So, I'm not following protocols or rules here. What are we going to do? Now-not after some long drawn out discussion. We all got the files, and more importantly we all know she won't have much time left at this point. We've had no contact from anyone and time is passing too quickly for discussions. We need a plan and we need to move."

Shiro locks eyes with Keith, stares and nods. "You're right. This is not standard op. So anyone who has a problem with that can leave now. We are operating outside of the books on this one." He looks around the room and when no one moves, he nods. "Okay, here's what I got."