Big Brother's Perspective

Matt was beyond livid. How did his life get here? Couldn't his family catch a break? While completely unprofessional, he had a total meltdown when he first heard the news. Thank goodness he was alone with Shiro, who didn't judge. He just felt responsible and was so quiznacking worried. But when he finally calmed down and looked in Shiro's eyes he knew that he was right there with him.  They stayed a while, just sitting in the dark conference room trying to work out a new plan. Trying to get their emotions under check and at least back to the point where they could pretend they were professionals. Sigh.

When they got back to the main conference room, they were met with Mr. and Mrs. Holt who didn't follow directives and were now on the Atlas as well. Matt could see this had taken a toll on them both but he respected that they needed to be here, closer to the action than back on Earth. After everyone was settle in the room Shiro finally asked for a full report via the link they had set up. He stands at the head of the table, with all parties squeezed in the room to hear all the details. Not that it even matters at this point but they all needed to feel like they were doing something, anything to get Pidge back.

On the holo screen both Keith and Griffin looked battle worn, solemn and tired. Keith waves to Griffin to relay what happened. Griffin suddenly stands straight, giving the report like he was back at the Garrison, very stiff and proper. "Sir, we arrived at the coordinates Paladin Holt supplied, or where the transmission originated from, if you will. Upon arrival we immediately entered active combat. The original Galra ship was in the process of being attacked by *cough* space pirates. They took supplies, killed Galra crew and managed to take *growl* Katie. The pirates retreated and while we have captured some and some are dead, I would estimate a good majority were able to escape. Upon a thorough search we found two members of Katie's team, with one still missing and presumed dead. A Blade ship is on its way and our next step is to question the remaining crew. Sir."

A day later, Matt sat in a forgotten rec room with the remaining paladins. It was late, but no one could really sleep. His parents had each other and they were better for it. Yet, he couldn't help feeling like a third wheel. Because Matt didn't have a significant other at this time, he had Pidge. They worked together, hung out, laughed, fought. She was probably one of his best friends. In fact, since the end of the war, this was probably the longest he has gone without talking to her. Teasing her, working with her...God, he was a mess. Then he looked around the room and thought no one else was faring much better. Shiro, Lance and Hunk, they all looked like shit as well. No one can sleep without knowing if Pidge was safe. Was she hurt? Has she eaten? What if she was being tortured? And they were so damn close to getting her!

His gaze landed on his other best friend, who was unfortunately, not handling Pidge's capture well. In fact, Shiro has been taking the complete opposite route of his parents and was currently avoiding Curtis. He knows this first hand because Curtis gave him an earful until Matt told him he didn't know what Curtis wanted him to do. Shiro loved Pidge as much as he did. She was his little sister. They were hurting. Curtis deflated and said he just wanted Shiro to let him in. Damn. What could he say to that? He feels for him but honestly, this was Pidge and he didn't have the energy for this now. He ended up patting Curtis' shoulder and telling to just be patient.

But then his mind went down a path that caused everyone in the room to just disappear. He couldn't help but wonder, what could he have done differently, could he have been faster?? It shouldn't have taken Keith of all people to ask about tracking her. He should have thought of it sooner, he should of...Shiro kicked his foot, grabbing his attention.

"Stop. We did everything we could. Look, in a few hours, Hunk is going to patch us into the surveillance of the questioning of the pirates.  We can see if we can help them figure out where Pidge is now. I have to believe that if they took her, they were going to keep her alive."