wild magic

"Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along"~ Rumi

Can

Her head was bent, the flower crown slipped a little and she unconsciously righted it with one hand as she wrote feverishly with the other. She was in her own little world as I entered the store. I watched her, entranced by her movements, already infinitely curious about everything she did. She took a breath and stopped writing. Her hand remained poised above the paper.

I held my breath. But she didn't lift her gaze.

The need to see her face, to look into her eyes was at a fever pitch. The human part of me was struggling again to maintain control. I attempted to approach her quietly, strived for normal human behavior but I failed miserably. The wolf had waited long enough and it wanted her attention. Before I could think better of it, I slammed my hands down on the counter in front of her. She jumped a little, her scent concentrated and heavy in my nostrils, the animal half of me prowled restlessly.

Mine.

I barely paused to question this need, this heady scent that had ravaged me, that had so quickly and firmly lodged itself inside me. The drive to possess her was so instinctual that it felt as if I'd been hurling headlong towards this moment my entire life.

She stared at my hands completely oblivious of the fact that there was a tormented big bad wolf in front of her contemplating her imminent abduction. 

She slowly lifted her gaze. Her lashes swept upward slowly, infinitesimally. I felt her glances like a caress against my skin. 

And then her eyes finally met mine. I felt the shock of her gaze like a thunderbolt straight down my spine. A small bubble of recognition sprang somewhere in the back of my mind. But I had no time to examine it, it was taking every bit of my vanishing control to keep myself from grabbing her, throwing her over my shoulder and making off with her.

She finally looked at me with curious, wide, earnest eyes. Her beautiful face was the face of a stranger but also the face of my beloved.  

I leaned closer, inhaling her heady fragrance. Dazed, my eyes drifted closed and my nose glanced off her soft cheek. 

Who was this incredible creature who seemed to have been plucked right out of my dreams and given human form? 

Human... My eyes sprung open.

Weak

Soft

Fragile

Goddamn it all! What the hell was I thinking?
"What's your name?" I all but growled at her, unable to keep the anger and frustration out of my voice.

"Sanem," she said softly. My heart turned over at the sound of her voice.

And then her eyes dropped to my lips. Every muscle in my body gathered tightly, my breath caught in my throat, my eyes followed her every movement in breathless expectation. 

When she lifted her hand and touched my jaw something clicked, opened and yawned wide inside me. A shimmering bright light pulled me towards it like a tornadic force, unimaginably strong, and I was caught in the center of it. In the aftermath, a thick strand of rich golden brown light extended in my mind's eye towards a burning red one way off in the distance. 

I was bewildered and disoriented. Worse than I'd been when I'd first scented her. I felt powerful but at the same time, it felt as if I'd just handed all of myself to this unassuming small girl gazing at me quietly, completely ignorant of the maelstrom she had unleashed in me with just one soft touch of her hand.