wild mate part 2

“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation.” - Rumi

Sanem

“Can,” I whispered, disarmed. I didn’t just hear the words. I felt them, I was submerged in them. The strength of his feelings lashed about me like the wind in a storm. He touched his forehead to mine and his arms tightened around me.

"I love you so much. It feels like I've been waiting half my life to say it," he breathed.

“I..,” I gazed at him helplessly. A boulder was lodged in my throat and all my unvocalized feelings were sealed behind it. My heart raced, my palms sweated, my breath came in short gasps. It was fear. I was terrified and I didn’t know why. He held my face and his thumbs caressed my cheeks gently. He, being as attuned to my emotions as I was to his, noticed my agitation and made a soothing sound against my lips.

“I didn’t say it because I expected anything in return. I only said it because I love you so much I’m burning up with it. I can’t breathe, I can’t think unless you’re near me. I just needed you to know."

“Why me?” I asked him stupidly. I was a shopgirl. A nobody without a soul in the world who loved me for me. 

Until now.

"Because you're you,” he said simply. “When I scented you that night, I knew deep down even then that there was no turning back. I’d never seen anyone so beautiful, you were shining so bright in the gloom and I knew
I wanted a little bit of your light for myself. Actually, my wolf knew first. I had a hard time catching up." He took a shaky breath and confessed in a low voice, "I feel like I'm in a new world. Like the earth, the air, every atom in my body has changed. I finally feel peace."

"Peace? I've turned your life upside down." I sniffled.

"True. You're a handful." He smiled crookedly and it made his dimple pop and the sight of it made my heart twist in a combination of dread and a happiness so fierce that it made tears spring to my eyes.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him with a passion fueled by all the unnamed feelings that were knotted together inside me.

“Take me to bed,” I whispered. He swept me up in his arms and in passion, I showed him what I couldn’t say.

********

The next night, I woke up disoriented and alone.

“Can?” I squinted in the dark. “What are you doing?”

He moved to the bed and I leaned over to turn on the lamp.

“Don’t,” he said.

“Why?”

He didn't answer so I turned it on anyway.

He was dressed all in black from head to boots. Even to my inexperienced eye, it looked like battle gear. As my eyes adjusted to the gloom, I realized he was also armed to the teeth. A myriad of guns and knives were strapped to every part of his body I could see. He quickly slipped into a black duster coat.

“What’s going on? Why do you need all that?”
I jumped out of bed.

“I'm going on a mission,” he bit out reluctantly.

“Were you going to sneak out without letting me know?”

His silence and his discomfort spoke volumes. "I didn't want to worry you."

“Is this because of what happened? You’re going to retaliate?” My agitation was rising.

“Shhh. Don’t get upset,” he said, pulling me to him. I ran my hands under his coat, feeling the guns strapped to a holster.