1 : sᴏᴍᴇ ᴜsᴜᴀʟ ʀᴏᴜᴛɪɴᴇ

"Now, we'll see how art interacts with people. As you can notice in everyday life, art galleries act as..."

Two minutes. Keep listening, you can do it. Note the most important things.

"Now, music plays a role in every creation, every art piece. Music can also..."

"Excuse me, teach'! What if people use music to be  sad?" Asked Andy next to me.

"Oh, yes, well, good point. Of course, music can make people sad. It depends when, where and how you use it. Plus..."

"Did you do that on purpose?" I asked, voice down.

"Yep. Aren't you bored too?" Andy responded.

"No... I like the class, but I'm just not feeling it today."

"Well, you're welcome. The teacher's answer will last two more minutes, and the class finishes in two and a half."

"Love that," I said.

"I know."

I laughed, and as the teacher was finishing answering Andy's answer, the clock hit 5 pm.

All students started packing their things to leave, but the teacher stopped us.

"Before you all leave," she said, "your last homework will be to do a little research. I'll be sending an e-mail later, so don't forget."

Most of us sighed, and we all finally left the class. On our way back to our lockers, Chris joined us -  Andy and I.

"So, day's over?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said, "I hate finals."

"They haven't started yet though?" Andy said before laughing with Chris.

"I know, I can just feel anxiety getting the best of me as the week goes though."

"Ah. Don't worry Pearl. You know you always finish the year greatly," Andy said.

"...Yeah. I know that too."

"But, hey! There's only a week left. Isn't that cool?" Becca said, joining us with Alice. Those two are my "most recent" friends.

Andy and Chris rolled eyes.

"It is," I said, "I hope I can relax this summer."

"...Talking about this summer," Alice said, "wanna come to my end-of-the-year party?"

"You're asking us?" Asked Andy.

"Uh... yeah? Well, Pearl mostly, but you can come too I guess..."

"I can't. I uh... am going on vacation with my cousins," said Chris.

"Can't either. Gotta... tutor kids," said Andy.

"Shame. Well! What do you say Pearlies?" asked Becca.

"Um... I'm not sure. Maybe?"

"Okay, well, we have to go now, but we'll see you next week so you can tell us in time right? We'll be waiting!" said Alice as she left with Becca.

I opened my locker and added books to my bag.

"So... you're tutoring kids Andy? During summer? When everyone's done with school?" I asked ironically.

"Dang, I knew it didn't sound legit..." said Andy in a sigh.

"You can be tutoring them about something that's not related to school. Like hum... I don't know, some sport or something," said Chris.

"YO, that's it! Perfect! I knew I could count on you," said Andy, high-fiving Chris with a smile.

"That aside...You're not really going gonna go to a party with them, are you?" said Chris.

"You mean Alice and Bec? I guess I am. I don't know. I sounds fun though," I answered, "also, come on. They're nice. You're just stiff with people," I said.

"Even he knows that, but I'm not, and I don't like them either," said Andy.

"It's fine."

Both of them stopped talking, but for some reason, I could feel their glare.

"Y'all. Stop glaring," I said.

"Sorry," they both laughed.

"I need to go now. See you tomorrow," said Chris.

"It's Saturday tomorrow, though?" said Andy.

"FOR REAL? Awesome! I thought it was like, Thursday. Are we still going for a drink?"

"Of course. I'm down," I said.

"Yeah, me too. See you tomorrow?" Asked Andy.

"Yep. See ya," said Chris before waving us goodbye.

"I have to leave too. You be careful on your way back okay? If anything happens, call me," said Andy.

"As always. See you tomorr... oh right, what time was it again?"

"Like, 9 pm?"

"Great. See you," I said as Andy turned to leave.

I closed my locker, zipped my bag and left the school a few minutes after.

***

As I walked home, my neighbor joined me.

"Pearl! How've you been?"

"Stressed out, you?"

"Again? That doesn't seem to change."

"It does, we just meet when I'm feeling down."

"Well..." he walked in front of me and stopped.

"What are you doing?" I said, smiling.

"I could probably see you when you're in a better mood... If I were your..."

"Stop it, gosh," I said as I pushed him away.

"Come on! I'm a great man!"

"You're also gay."

"Okay, but we have to meet more."

"Fact."

We continued walking until we reached his walk-in.

"Wanna stay for dinner?" He asked.

"Oh... that'd be great... but I have to study for finals. Maybe next time?"

"It's always "next time"... but fine. Next time it is. Call me when you can make it."

"Oh, actually, I'm meeting with Andy and Chris tomorrow night for drinks. Wanna come?"

"Ooh drinks? Count me in! What time?"

"9 pm?"

"How about I come at yours at 8 and drive you to the bar?"

"I think Andy wanted to be the driver, but I can always ask them if they'd like to switch."

"Oh, Andy's gonna be there?"

"Yeah? They're like, my only friend."

"I know that. Nevermind, ask them about the lift and fill me in tomorrow?"

"Sounds great."

He smiled and closed the door after I smiled back at him. I then walked to my house and finally got to study after that busy day.

———————End of chapter——————