Operation: Chimera - Revised Part II

As the helicopter landed in its designated area that lit up the midnight sky, Olivier hastily stood up from his seat in an obvious rush until he felt a hand grab his shoulder. He already knew who it was. 

     "I know what to do, Lera," he stated, not even sparing her a single glance.

     "I know. Just thought that you would need it." Lera replied, walking ahead of him now. Olivier was confused by this, obviously, but he thought it was best not to question her about it. He, instead, followed right behind her and eventually caught up next to her. 

     Millions of things were running through the man's head. Ranging from the preventable death of Dr. Mackintosh to whether or not he was infected with this devastating parasite. He can't be infected... Right? Right?

----------------------------------

     "Thank you for bringing the research back, Specialist Lion. Bringing the doctor back was preferred, yes, but you had no control over her death. This mission isn't a failure yet because of you." Eliza reassured as she went through the small box that contained a journal of some sort, samples of the infected civilians, and many, many files.

     "Hm, that sounds familiar." Lera chimed in, her hand reaching into the box only to come back out after a short moment, the said hand now clutching the obviously aged journal. She didn't say anything. She only paced around the room while carefully flipping through the pages of the small book, as if its pages were as fragile as a thin layer of glass.

     "You did your work, Flament, and you sure as hell did it well." Jordon joined in as well, a reassuring smile painted on his face and one of his burnt, bandaged hands holding a thumbs up. 

     However, not a single one of those words mattered to Olivier. Something in him just screamed that it was his fault. Every single thing was his fault. No matter how many times someone or even he himself said that it wasn't, there was always something in his head that told him otherwise. Somewhere in the back of his mind.

     "Yes, you did your work. Now go relax, alright? We'll call you in when we need you again." Specialist Ash insisted as she opened up one of the many files to read over and hopefully find useful information.

     "Understood." Olivier simply responded, about to leave the room until his partner, Lera, stopped him once again. She said nothing as usual. Instead, she handed the journal over to him and pointed at a specific paragraph for him to read. So, he did.

----------------------------------

Day Four of Research

     After thousands upon thousands of patients we have tested and researched on, the alien parasite cannot be spread through contact of any sort. This will help the cure research tremendously as it opens up many paths. Paths that will save everyone.

~ Dr. Mackintosh

----------------------------------

     Relief immediately washed over Olivier's body. He wasn't infected... He wasn't infected!

     "Told you that you had nothing to worry about." Specialist Finka comforted.

     "Hmph.. guess you were right..." Lion uttered out, his lips cracking a smile.

     A smile of satisfying relief.