Chapter 19 - I Had A Bad Day.

You lit a cigarette while holding it tightly between your lips, taking one hard puff as you leaned back on your couch. You pulled it away, wincing and doing your best to keep yourself from coughing.

Thankfully Pogo's closed early today. Working with a hangover was one of the worst experiences you had had, and one you swore to yourself that you would never repeat. You didn't know how long you'd be able to survive that shift if it hadn't closed.

It didn't matter now, you were home and you could relax. But, it would've been all the better if you could relax with Arthur.

You smiled to yourself as you remembered the events of last night. The nervousness. The anticipation. The kiss.

You blushed. Maybe giving him a call wasn't a bad idea.

You jumped up from your couch, happily making your way over to your phone and dialing Arthur's number. You placed the phone between your shoulder and your ear, smiling to yourself as you took another puff.

Hello. The number you are trying to reach isn't able to take your call right now. Please leave a message after the beep...

"Hey, Arthur? It's me. Listen, I got off early today so I was wondering if you'd wanna come up and join me? I have some leftovers we could heat up. Maybe watch some Murray? What do you say? Just get over here."

You hung up the phone, scratching your head as you made your way back to your couch. Arthur should've been home now, you weren't sure why he didn't answer the phone. Maybe he was in the bathroom? You shrugged, falling back on your couch and flipping through TV channels.

An hour passed. Still nothing. Why hadn't Arthur returned your call? Was that kiss... Did he really think that kiss was just for practice? What if he didn't actually want to kiss you?

You ran your fingers through your hair. Maybe you were just overthinking it. You were probably overthinking it. He definitely wanted to kiss you back. Otherwise, why would he always be so excited to spend time with you? He was the one who asked you out, after all.

But you were the one who asked for the kiss.

You groaned, flipping through the TV channels some more. He should've called you back by now. What was taking so long? Maybe he was taking a nap? Your foot bounced anxiously on the floor. You told yourself it was nothing to over think, that you wouldn't let your thoughts run with the wind.

But that was exactly what was happening.

You watched as the protestors grew angrier on your television. What if Arthur somehow got stuck in that while he was out? But he was familiar with Gotham, surely he knew where to go and where to avoid. That had to be right, he was probably just getting groceries or something.

Suddenly, the phone rang. And man, were you glad to hear it.

You ran to it, quickly pulling it off its holster and holding it to your ear.

"Hello?"
"Hey..." Arthur's voice was practically a croak, quiet and shaking.

You tightened the cord around your palm.

"Arthur, what's wrong? Where are you?"

You could hear his trembling breathing over the phone, like he was trying his best not to cry.

"Pogo's closed early today?"
"Yeah, were you going to pick me up? I'm sorry, I should've told you. Are you there now?"
"Yeah...Listen," he sniffled. "Can you... Can you come please? I don't want to walk home alone right now. I..."

He paused, trying to stop himself from erupting into a laughing fit.

"I had a bad day."

"Okay, stay there. I'm coming, I'll be there soon."