Chapter 21 - You Don't Know.

Arthur set the phone back in its holster with a loud clink!

He stared outside his window, not sure exactly of what he felt. He briefly peered into the bedroom entrance, before snapping his view right back to the window. He looked at his hands.

Was he ashamed? Was he proud? He didn't know.

But he knew that whatever had taken over him last night wasn't him.

He sighed, leaning against the wall.

But it was him. It's always been him. It's been Arthur, too. Couldn't he feel it? He was always there. He knew that. Arthur knew that.

He shook his head. This was wrong. This was awfully wrong. That thing was NOT him. It could never be him.

But he could. He was. He is.

No, no it isn't.

Yes, yes it fucking is. What was he talking about? That confidence. That power. It's everything he ever dreamed of. Everything he fantasized of. Why would he let this go? Why now? He'd only just started. Come on, he knew he wanted it. He knew he did. Just a little longer. Who just called? Murray. THE Murray. The torment, the frustration, the anger. This was his chance to put an end to all of it.

Arthur was tired of this dialogue. Monologue? He didn't know. It was tempting, of course it was. But...

Of course it was tempting. Why deny his temptations? He shut them out his entire life. For what? For what? Penny? Look what she'd done to him. Look what she allowed to happen to him. She should be dead.

Arthur stared silently at his hands. Did he really enjoy this?

Ha! Well...

He forced Arthur's face back towards the bedroom.

She seemed to enjoy it.

"ENOUGH," Arthur shouted, pressing his palms to his face.

The shout shook you from your sleep. You looked around, your drowsiness disorienting you. Where were you?

You caught sight of Arthur's old clown nose on the dresser. You were still in his apartment. Why...?

You pushed the blanket off, suddenly realizing you weren't clothed.

Oh...

The memories of last night suddenly came rushing to your mind. You sat up, pulling the blanket over yourself to cover your... indecency. You smiled softly to yourself. You were a little embarrassed, you couldn't deny that, but...

Wow. You bit your lip. You wouldn't forget that any time soon. You had no idea Arthur had it in him. It almost felt like a different person. Was that silly?

You looked around, finding Arthur's signature red sweater and pulling it over yourself.

"Hey, big guy."

You snuck up behind him, wrapping your arms around his waist.

He let out a small chuckle, resting his arms on top of yours. Arthur had never been so relieved by your presence, his intrusive thoughts finally coming to a close. He was gone. For now, at least. He sighed, hanging his head.

"Is something wrong? I thought I heard you yell, or something?"

Arthur stuttered, struggling to come up with a response.