18th ; What could go wrong?

Summer, the beach, ice cream, relaxation, it's all about fun. Her hard work is finally paying off. All the studying, having good grades we're all worth it. And there's no way she's stopping there. Aiming for being the student of the year award, Haruno Sakura had to study her butt off all summer just to achieve the said goal.

She was always the girl seen beside the classroom window, a pen in hand, a book on the other, her notes on her desk, she was your typical nerd classmate.

She wasn't just a nerd though, she mostly just focused on studying but Sakura was a beauty. She just didn't focused on her looks too much.

“Time to hit the library!” She said enthusiastically, kept her books and headed out of the room. Completely ignoring the whole class' laughters and little chats, clearly planning out how summer should be spent. Not liked she was interested. All she could think about were books and books only. “I wonder if they got new learning materials today!” She hummed, “I'm excited!”

“Excited for what?” A voice she was overly familiar with, spoke behind her.

She turned to see, Ino smiling. Behind her was, Naruto, Hinata, Sai, and Sasuke. They were surely up to something.

“Don't tell me you're gonna shut yourself in your room whole summer studying?” Ino asked, her left eyebrow raised a bit.

“I'm about to hit the library for that very reason!” Sakura smiled, innocently. “What's wrong with that?”

Pffft. They could only laugh at her reaction. She was an interesting girl. Many liked Sakura,not only she's hardworking but, she's also honest. Too honest. They find it amusing.

She received a smack on the head. “O-Ow! What was that for?” She asked, surprised. Her hand made it's way to the aching pain and gently rubbing it to soothe the pain a bit.

“You're coming to the beach with us!”

She was clearly not an outdoor person, it's not like she hated outside, she was just not fond of it. Books we're her companions, not to have fun.

“Nee, Sakura-chan!” Naruto called to the pinkette who was lost in her own thoughts. Probably dismayed that her whole summer of studying, ruined.

She flashed a smile under the shelter of the big beach umbrella that Sai had put up awhile ago, “What's wrong Naruto?”

“Hinata here wants to swim with you!”

She looked behind the girl who Naruto was with, she had gorgeous midnight hair that was tied up into a messy bun, she was hot.

“Uh-Uhm.. I didn't get to bring my swimwear and I'm not a very good swimmer.” She smiled, pink shade of blush present on both cheek.

Hinata smiled back. It was her first talking to Sakura casually.

“You're one hell of a worker, Sakura-chan!” He faced Sasuke all of a sudden. “Not like teme here.”

“Hn.”

Naruto looked at the raven with a bored look on his face. He grinned back to Sakura who was reading a pocketbook full of poetry he never once understood. He quickly interrupted the pinkette with the small book now on his hand.

“G-Give it bac–” Sakura exclaimed, disliking how Naruto was behaving.

“How do you read this stuf–” He was unable to speak when a few college students bumped into him. Clearly pissing him off. He was about to retort when Hinata held his hand, not wanting him to step further into trouble.

“Uh.. Sorry, Sakura-chan.” He said, surprised when he had saw the pinkette kneeling down on both knees, broken to see the pocketbook she was just reading moments ago torn in two.

“This.. This all I have in memory of mom..” She muttered softly in her breaths. Before they knew it Sakura was tearing up.

Without further exchange of words, she asked if she could be alone and walked away from everyone to a place where she could be alone.

“Look at what you did, stupid!” Ino complained, “That book meant the whole world to Sakura!”

“I said I was sorry!”

“Half assed!” Ino now turned to the raven who was also leaving the place, ignoring them completely. “Where do you think you're going?”

“Out of here. You're all full of dramas.”

“Why you–!” Ino felt a hand on her shoulder only to see Sai, holding her back. Probably saying it's best to leave Sasuke be.

“Alright..”

“You're such a baby.”  She heard a deep voice behind her and quickly dried off her tears, not wanting to look even more pathetic to the raven.

Sakura just sat on the bench not wanting to do any business with the Uchiha. Not only was he distracting her, he was her biggest rival. There's no way she could be friends with a rival.

“You can just buy another one.” He added.

Sakura burried her face on her arms, not facing the Uchiha this time.

“It cannot be bought..” There was a long ear splitting silence for a moment before she could add, “My mother wrote all the poems that contained this book.. it's the only memory left I have of her before she.. before she passed away.”

Why was she telling him all these? He was a stranger, yet alone, a rival. She didn't want his sympathy. Yet she felt relief and comfort that someone, other than Ino, would listen to her troubles.

“You're a smart girl, Sakura.” Sasuke smirked, “I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it. It's not badly torn.”

“I guess so. It meant a lot to me.”

“You can do it. Just like how you managed to always bring me down during exams.” He chuckled a bit, Sakura felt her cheeks blush crimson, “You're one tough girl to bring down. So don't let this get to you.”

Sakura could only smile, feeling a new emotion she had never once felt before. Could this be a start of a new chapter? A new thrill for the young pinkette?

Sakura smiled, tugging his heart strings, “Thank you, Sasuke-kun.”

🍂