30

Jennie

Ella's funeral was two days ago.

I've kept to myself, and Mingsoon has done the same-playing video games and Netflix-bingeing. My phone keeps alerting me with reminders to call the social worker regarding Mingsoon, but when I pick up the phone to do it, I can't. I'm scared. The fear of what she'll tell me knocks back my energy into making the call. I'm biding my time until they come knocking on the door, and I'll ready to fight like hell when they do.

My shoulders tense when I hear the doorbell ring, and my legs feel weak when I walk to the door. I question myself on answering when I look through the peephole, and worry seeps through me when I answer.

Sandara Kim is standing in front of me.

My breath catches in my throat while I wait for her to speak. I'm at a loss for words.

"Hi, Jennie," she bursts out in a sweet tone. "Can we talk?"

I blink, and it takes me a moment to reply. "Sure."

This is it.

This is where she tells Mingsoon to pack his bags and leave me.

I lead her into my living room, and neither one of us is relaxed when we sit on the couch.

She cuts straight to the point. "I'm aware Joohyun informed you that Jiyong and I felt it was in Mingsoon's best interest if we raised him."

I grimace and ball my knuckles. "She did, and I respectively disagree." I'm biting back the angry words I want to scream at her.

"It seems you're not the only one."

Her response surprises me.

"I'm sorry ... what?"

Her eyes are glossy, and she places a finger underneath her nose as she tilts her head down. "I want to apologize." She blinks away tears. "I'm sorry if I'm being too emotional. Jisoo came to talk to me. She explained that you've been the sole caretaker for Mingsoon, that, since he was a baby, it's always been you. She asked me how I'd feel if someone tried to take my children away from me, and her words made me understand. My heart hurts if I caused you any pain. I only wanted to help Mingsoon, but I understand now that helping him is having you. Mingsoon can stay with you. Jiyong and I will not be pursuing any type of custody battle, and we have no issue with helping if need be-whether it be money, school assistance, anything like that. We're here." She sucks in a breath. "And, when you two feel comfortable, I'd love to get to know him. So would his brother and sisters."

Tears fill my eyes. "Thank you," I blurt out, my voice thick with emotions, so many damn emotions. "Thank you so much." I pull in a breath and wipe away my tears before clearing my throat. "And I'm sorry ... for keeping everything from you ... and, uh ... taking money away from your family."

She shakes her head. "Honey, you did that for those kids. Jiyong told me he had the checks made out to you because he knew you'd do the right thing and that you stopped accepting them when you had enough money to help them yourself. You doing that, even against your better judgment, only further proves how much you care for them." She grabs my hand and squeezes it. "And I am so, so very sorry about your loss."

We're both crying as we stand, and she wraps her arms around me before leaving. "My door is always open." She hands me a piece of paper when we separate. "Here's my number. If you need anything, Jennie, please let me know."

I sniffle. "Thank you again."

She gives me one last look before leaving. "Now, I understand why Jisoo loves you so much." She sighs. "With four children, I try to steer clear of their love lives, but Jisoo cares for you deeply. She's not perfect, and sometimes, she doesn't think before she speaks. But she's ready to take on every broken piece of you, and hopefully, you're willing to do the same with her."