31

Jisoo

I've told Jennie good morning for the past week.

I'm not greeted with curse words or finger signals.

I get a small glimmer of a smile and a bowed head.

That's it.

I should appreciate her lack of telling me to fuck off but don't. It further proves every light inside her has dimmed.

My family's disdain toward Jennie has lowered. We sat down after the funeral and all came to the understanding that she's not the bad person; he is.

I haven't forgiven my father, but I am giving him credit for stepping up. When he realized my mother was finally going to walk away, it sucker-punched him. My mom ignored his infidelities before because they were hidden, but when they were released in the open, that did her in. Not to mention, he produced a child with his mistress years ago. My siblings and I had begged her to leave him, but she didn't want to lose her family. I didn't agree with her decision, but I accepted it because I love her. She asked us to work on not hating our father, so for her, I've tried to keep a straight face and not punch him when he's around. But no matter what, I'll never have respect for him.

I slam the door shut after getting into the car with Lisa. She's my best friend, but lately, she's proven to be more than that. She was there for Ella's funeral, and that was a big step for her. Lisa isn't one who frequents funerals, especially children's funerals, after what she experienced in Chicago. She came for me. She kicked away those fears for me.

She jerks her head toward Jennie's house. "Have you gone over and talked to her yet?"

She asks this every day.

I give her the same reply every day.

I shake my head and rub at my eyes. If you don't count my good mornings, then no. "I'm not sure what to say."

"She hasn't mentioned your mom's visit to her?"

"No."

"Use it as a conversation starter. Knock on her door and deliver the news as if you didn't know your mom had paid her a visit. You wanted to make sure she knew."

I blow out a breath. "I'm giving her time to grieve."

"You're patient, Jisoo."

**

"Hey there. New job?"

Mingsoon is squatted down and sliding cans on a lower shelf in a grocery aisle at Garfield's. The last time I saw him here was for shoplifting, and now, they've given him a job.

Good for him.

Mingsoon looks up at me with a nod before standing up. "Yeah. I need something to help pass my time before my mind goes crazy." His voice lowers. "I don't have a little sister to look after anymore, so it's all I think about in my downtime."

I've debated on reaching out to Mingsoon after the funeral. I told them my door is open, so when they're ready, I'm ready.

I give him a hopeful look. "I'm sorry, buddy. My door is always open if you want to talk or hang out," I offer again.

He smiles and plays with the collar of his red work shirt. "I'm sorry for what I said when I eavesdropped on the conversation about your parents wanting custody of me. I was pissed. It was nothing against you."

I smile. "Don't worry about it."

He kicks his feet against the ground. "But I'm down for whatever. I got a new number."

He fishes his phone from his pocket. I grab mine, and we recite our numbers to each other.

"You know," he starts with hesitation, "I've always wanted a big sister."

I wink. "You have one now."

He grins wider before pointing to my cart. "That's a lot of food."

"My parents are having a dinner on Christmas. You're more than welcome to come with me if you'd like."

"Maybe. Aunt Jennie is making dinner on Christmas."

"That's scary," I joke.

He laughs. "I know, right? She wants us to have a traditional Christmas dinner." He pauses, and all friendliness on his face has disappeared and is replaced with sadness. "I'm worried about her. Ella and I always spent the day with her, and now ..."

I nod in response. "You be there for her, okay?"

"I'm trying my hardest to."

**

Mingsoon texts me the next day.

He asked Jennie if it was okay for him to hang out with me, and she approved.

We go out for pizza, and I take him to the arcade. We have a blast. He says Yeri has been hanging out at the house to keep Jennie's spirits up. He's still worried about her, and he knows she's hiding her sadness.

We brainstorm, coming up with ideas to help her through her pain.

**

Two chapters left :)