Chapter I

| W H A T C O U L D' V E B E E N |

Regina's desire to be sent to the exact place the Evil Queen's wish had sent Emma Swan to, landed her in an alternative version of the Enchanted Forest. One in which her story had played out differently, but she didn't come to realize that until she stumbled upon a statue of David and Snow which had a plaque that read: On this very spot Snow White and Prince Charming heroically defeated the Evil Queen.

"Seriously," she uttered, as she steadily looked at the plaque for she couldn't believe that she was an alternative reality in which those two idiots had defeated her. "I must've been as incompetent as Geppetto in this world," she thought aloud, then proceeded to make her way up the forest in an attempt to find Emma whom she was sure was somewhere out there trying to find a way back home.

"Emma...!" she hollered as she trotted through a replica of the forest she had once so endlessly hunted her mother in, but she didn't get any sort of response from her. So, she hollered her name once again  "Emma...!" thinking she hadn't heard her the first time because she had to be somewhere around there she thought, and as she opened her mouth to holler her name again she jumped to the sound of a branch being broken by a footstep. She turned expecting to see Emma behind her, but instead she saw was a scrawny fourteen-year-old girl in a fine blue cloak whose hair seemed to be covered in mud.

That girl was Fallon and she seemed to be confused by what her eyes were seeing as if she didn't know whether to trust them. "Mother, is that really you?" she asked, with tears in her eyes and a knot in her throat, a knot so tight that it broke every syllable that came out of her mouth.

Mother? Who me? Thought Regina as she stood there looking at the young girl who she was more than certain wasn't her daughter because she had never had one. There must be someone behind me, she thought because she couldn't possibly be talking to her. With that thought in her mind, she glanced over her shoulder expecting to see someone but she didn't, all she saw was the trees surrounded them and those in the distance. Which meant that the girl was talking to her but why? she wondered. Why is this girl talking to me? I'm not her mother. At least I don't think I am. But what if I am
In this realm?

"It is you" cried Fallon, before running over to her and throwing her arms around her the way Henry used to do when he was scared. "You're alive!"

"What the hell?' Regina thought as Fallon hugged her with a force strong enough to make her bones ache.

Fallon dug her nails into her back. "I thought I had lost you forever." Regina took ahold of her small hands and was shocked by their roughness but not enough to become deterred from what was happening. "I'm sorry but who are you?" she asked, as she took a few steps back and slipped her hands away from hers.

"Don't you remember me? It's me, Fallon." she cried, as she reached for a silver necklace with a sapphire pendant that hung from her mud-covered neck and showed it to her. "See."

Regina looked at the necklace studyingly but saw no significance in it and at Fallon who seemed shocked by my reaction and ready to question her on it but before she could, footsteps approached them and she began to panic. "They're coming. We have to go, mother! " she warned.

"Who?" Regina thought as she glanced into Fallon's panicked blue eyes which seemed to be telling her that danger was on the way but she ignored her warning and took up a defensive pose because she wasn't one to run for danger.

Fallon grasped onto her by an arm and tried to run with her but Regina didn't budge, she just looked towards the sound of the footsteps and mentally prepared herself to conjure up one of her signature fireballs. "Now, Mother!" cried Fallon.