Chapter II

| B A N I S H E D |

Regina couldn't believe that had she played her cards differently in the real world, she would've ended up with a daughter. Nor could she believe everything that she was telling her about her counterpart. "So you're telling me that in this universe, your father and I were having an affair behind King Leopold's back?" she said astonished, as they walked side by side through the forest.

Fallon nodded and stepped onto a fallen tree in their path and glanced at their surroundings for any signs of danger. "That's what I've been told by many— but it didn't last," she said, digging her nails into the palm of her hands. "King Leopold caught you and nearly killed you — so father killed him."

"And what happened after that?" Regina, curiously asked, as she went around the dead tree to avoid stepping over it and extended her hands towards her to help her down.

Her hands which seemed soft and tender like those of her mother and Fallon wanted so badly for them to be but they weren't. The left one was missing a diamond ring and the right one, a moon-like scar which she had accidentally given to her with her first sword. "You took control of King Leopold's kingdom," she replied, with a smile which quickly turned into a sad frown and jumped off the dead tree and onto the mulch covered ground with a thud.  "But you weren't able to keep it for long. Queen Snow fled and returned a few years later with an army and declared war on you and after nearly forty years of war. You, father, and my god-father were defeated. You were then banished and both father and godfather were incarcerated."

"What about you?" asked Regina, with a gentle nudge.

"I too was incarcerated," Fallon replied, dejectedly and continued to walk. "I was stripped of my crown and forced to become her daughters' personal maid."

Emma! Thought Regina. Their daughter could be Emma!
"Daughter?!" she exclaimed.

"Yes, her name's Emma and she's much older than I am and as vile as her mother," stated Fallon.

Regina thought back to her scalded hands and glanced at them." "Your hands?" she asked, thinking perhaps she had done it. "Did she do that to them?"

Fallon stopped and started at the distance as the memory of the moment her hands had been scalded came to her as if it were happening again. "I'm doing the best that I can," she said, underneath her breath. A hawk passing by screeched and she
snapped back to reality. "Because the tea was too hot," she responded. "That's why." then continued to walk.

Regina stayed back as she tried to comprehend what had just heard. "Fallon?" she uttered.

"Yes?" replied Fallon, slowly turning around.

"Who burned your hands?" inquired Regina.

Fallon looked away and proceeded. "It doesn't matter," she said, softly. "They're all better now."

Regina thought about stirring the pot a bit more but then thought better of it and treaded after her. "So where are we going?" she asked because up till then she had been blindly following her through the forest and she was now beginning to wonder where she was leading her too.

"A safe place where we'll be able to spend the night at," replied Fallon. "And tomorrow I'll take you to the first castle."

Regina caught up to her and smiled warmly at her. "You're safe with me," she said. "I may not be your real mother but I will protect you as if I were."

That smile was far too familiar to Fallon for she had seen far too many times, only it wasn't the same nor was the protection that she was offering her because though she looked and sounded like her mother, she wasn't. She was a stranger. "Follow me," she said, picking up her pace and heading down another path. "We're almost there and don't worry about me, my parents taught me how to fend for myself at a young age."

All at once, Regina felt proud of her counterpart for having raised the brave and level-headed girl before her and began to feel confident in her leadership. So, she obliged.