Chapter IV

| T H E N I G H T A L L W E N T S O U T H |

- flashback -

"Wake up, Princess," said Kat Blount, Fallon's governess as she anxiously shook her awake in the dead of night. "We're under attack,"

A dazed but alert Fallon arouse from her slumber and hastily propped herself onto the headboard of her canopy bed. "Under attack, by who?" she asked, worryingly, as she focused her drowsy eyes on Kat's candle-lit face.

"Queen Snow!"

Fallon tossed her bedcovers off herself, rushed out of bed, and raced over to her balcony. "No..." she heaved, as she looked out into her kingdom and saw thousands of knights wreaking havoc on their once-peaceful kingdom. "Where are my parents?"

"They're in the war room preparing for what's amongst us," replied Kat, as she rushed over to her wardrobe. "Along with their most loyal knights."

"I must go to them." declared Fallon.

"No." protested Kat, flinging the doors of the wardrobe open one by one. "You must come with me."

Fallon backed away from the balcony." No, Kat. This is my kingdom too and as heir to the throne I must fight alongside them to protect it." she argued, as she ran over to her and snatched the candlestick which she held in her hands.

"I've been instructed by your parents to sneak you out of the castle through the tunnels and that is what I shall do," Kat said, firmly.

Fallon gave her a challenging look and then raced to the doors of her bedchamber. "I'm going!" she declared

"Your life is at stake, Princess," warned Kat.

"So are their lives!" cried Fallon.

"Yes but they've chosen to put their lives at stake. Not yours!" Kat yelled, sharply, as she scurried over to her and pulled her away from the doors. "Now come along, before Queen Snow's knights breach the castle."

Fallon yanked herself out of Kat's grip and raced back towards the doors, and in that precise moment the doors swung open and two of Queen Snow's knights stormed inside.

Having sworn to protect her with her life the day she had become her governess. Kat raced towards Fallon who had become frozen with fear but before she could get to her charge a knight pierced her heart with a silver arrow.

"No!" cried Fallon, then she dropped to her knees as Kat's body hit the ground with a heartbreaking thud. "Kat....!"

The two knights mocked her affliction with laughter and dragged her out before she could think to crawl to Kat's lifeless body. "You're coming with us, Princess."

-- I suggest you read this story and all my other stories in the font "Cochin" for maximum enjoyment.