Chapter Ten

Rokuda decided to keep up with her new routine of waking early for school. She wouldn't admit it to herself, but it was partially because she liked getting some one-on-one time with Bakugou. He was different when they were alone and after the other night, she felt like they'd grown closer.

Bakugou went about his morning routine of going for a jog, showering, and dressing before heading into the kitchen to make himself some toast. As he took two slices of bread out of the bag, the coffee maker beside him caught his eye.
He wasn't really big on the drink, not because of the taste, but because he didn't find he needed the caffeine boost, but he still knew how to make a pot.  Knowing that Rokuda would always have a cup with her breakfast, as Bakugou waited for his bread to become warm and toasty, he filled the coffee maker and started it.

When Rokuda made it into the kitchen, Bakugou was seated at the table with his peanut butter toast and the smell of fresh coffee overwhelmed her senses. "I didn't know you drink coffee," she mused as she grabbed a mug from the cupboard.

"I don't," he stated, taking a bite of his toast.

She tilted her head to the side as she poured the drink into her cup. Did he make it just for me? Rokuda smiled to herself as she grabbed milk from the fridge to put a splash in her coffee. She popped a bagel in the toaster and tapped her fingers on the counter as she waited.

Bakugou watched as she absentmindedly tucked her flowing hair behind her ear before jumping slightly, startled by the pop of the toaster. He couldn't help but snicker at her and she glanced over at him, shooting him a half-assed glare as she plated her bagel.

The redhead brought her breakfast over to the table and sat across from Bakugou. She let out a soft satisfied hum as she took her first sip of coffee, a small smile playing on her lips as she glanced up at the blond and caught him staring at her.

"You make good coffee, Bakugou. Thank you."

Bakugou felt his cheeks begin to warm up from being caught staring. "Whatever," he mumbled, looking down at his plate.

"Not, whatever," she imitated his voice playfully before laughing a little. "That was really thoughtful of you, Bakugou."

Bakugou's blush deepened, was he being too obvious? He didn't want to scare her away, but after hearing Todoroki say she thought he was conceited and arrogant, he wanted to show her that wasn't true. Well, at least it wasn't true all the time. "That's what friends fuckin' do, right?"

As soon as the word 'friends' left his lips, Bakugou immediately regretted it. He didn't want her to think of them as just friends, but now he'd put the notion in her mind that he thought of them in that way and he berated himself internally with a string of curses.

Well, at least I know where we stand, Rokuda thought to herself as she tried to push down the unexpected pang of disappointment that stung in her chest. Silence fell between them as they finished their breakfasts, both internally reminiscing about the closeness they'd shared the other night and considering if they really were just friends. An unintentional sigh escaped Rokuda's lips as she concluded that Bakugou wasn't really interested in her after all and it caught his attention.

"What is it this time?"

Her eyes widened as she felt she got caught thinking about him. "U-uh, nothing," she chuckled uncomfortably and rubbed the back of her neck. "Everything's fine."

His eyes narrowed at her. "You're a shitty liar, Red."

"Hey, that's not true," Rokuda replied indignantly. "I'm a mediocre liar, thank you very much."