12

The House of Jing-An was at the core of Gui Le and since Pingting had grown up in their Residence, she knew more details about the court than the average peasant.

If the King hadn't been jealous of the centuries-old House of Jing-An, then the Residence would've never been burnt overnight, right?

When Pingting heard Gui Le's biggest problem from the 'enemy' in such a nonchalant tone, she couldn't help asking, "So does Gui Le not have any form of monarchy or governors?"

"Well yes, Gui Le does have a duke, Duke of Jing-An. He has looked after the armies and governed the country for many years." His smiled gently, revealing pleasure, "But because the House of Jing-An's army was too big and successful, the new King decided to wipe it out."

"What!" A rustling sound was heard from behind the blinds, "Didn't you say the people of House of Jing-An were good? Then Gui Le's King must be really weird."

Chu Beijie sat up straighter, his expression much more determined. He laughed, "The House of Jing-An may be loyal to Gui Le, but he hates my Dong Lin. Now that they're gone and Gui Le is without a strong leader, Dong Lin can easily conquer Gui Le."

Pingting painfully registered the news, but feigned happiness, "I see, then our Dong Lin is even stronger. So... did no one from the Jing-An Ducal Residence survived?"

"There are some very cunning people in the Jing-An Ducal Residence, especially the young master, He Xia. I heard they weren't there at the time of the fire. It is believed that they have escaped Gui Le. He Su is still trying to capture them, despite being on the 'same side'. A real pity." What he really meant by the last two sentences was 'it was a real pity that He Su didn't finish off the House of Jing-An'.

She had finally learned that her Master had not been captured yet and she felt slightly relieved at this.

Her Master and the others were probably safe, right? Even if she tried, she didn't know where to begin looking for them. Why not stay here for a little longer, accompanying Lady Hua, and use him to find out the latest news?

Thinking that much, she plucked another string.

On the other side, Chu Beijie heard that note and the melody that followed. It was harmoniously broad, yet as smooth as trickling water. It was very much inspiring like the first except it was slightly more feminine.

Before one could sigh in pleasure, a somewhat deep voice began to accompany the qin sound.

"When there is trouble, there are heroes...When there are heroes, there are beautiful women...surviving the turmoil, surviving the turmoil..."

The mellow voice resonated, like an angel.

Chu Beijie was temporarily caught off guard by her voice and the theme of this song. His heart lifted at the sound of her music. Although he was only twenty years old, he had learned the art of war since he was little and excelled in all his studies. He grew up in the royal Residence, meaning that he'd seen many beautiful women in his lifetime and over time, admiration became disgust and contempt for them.

He vowed to find a real, real beauty.

The person behind the blinds, he knew, was definitely the best qin player he had ever heard. It was impossible to criticise. Though he had not seen her personally, he knew that she was beautiful from a portrait he had asked for during his initial investigation.

Looking at the figure's shape inside the blinds, he knew that it had to be her.

Each word filled the audience's heart and mind like jade beads clattering on a plate, while sometimes as quiet as a cup soundlessly being placed onto the table.

Pingting ended the piece by singing 'surviving the turmoil' several times and held the note there, letting it slowly die away.

Chu Beijie had closed his eyes to appreciate the music and he took a while to come back to his senses. "This 'Surviving the Turmoil' song is inspired by the pain and suffering of the 'beauty'. However, for you, there's a completely different feeling. It's more victorious, less suffering and pain."

"Thank you Mister." Pingting replied in a slightly deep voice and her face was flushed. Playing qin and singing was tiring work for her, but she still wanted to know more and had to keep his interest by appeasing his ear, "I've heard of He Xia from the House of Jing-An too. Don't they all say he's the best commander in Gui Le?"

"That is correct."

"Then...is our Duke of Dong Lin stronger than him?"

Chu Beijie smiled at the mention of himself, "What does My Lady think?"

"I've been inside for too long, how should I know? I have heard, from the newest servants, that He Xia fought Chu Beijie a while ago, at the borders of Gui Le."

"Yeah."

"Who won the battle?" Pingting knew that the victor had to be her Master, but she thought the victory had been too easy. Sure, she did lead them into a trap, but the troops of the Duke of Zhen-Bei were large enough to put up a good fight. However, they admitted defeat and retreated a bit too quickly.

When the Duke of Zhen-Bei returned to Dong Lin, was he punished for his defeat? If the King of Dong Lin ripped Chu Beijie of his authority, then he would've helped Gui Le immensely.