36

"I don't know why I'm crying." Pingting dried her tears and managed a wobbly smile.

The more she thought about it, the more it hurt, but she had already convinced herself that she needed to go.

What's the point of missing him? She had to let go of Chu Beijie's laughter, hurt, anger, and happiness. Master is in danger. I can't just become a duchess for no reason.

Go, she had to go.

It was supposedly an auspicious year anyway.

She carefully studied Chu Beijie whenever she could. Being hugged by him always resulted in a sleepless night. However, the weather was bad in every way possible, and she could not fall asleep without clutching onto his warm hand first.

Sometimes, Chu Beijie's deep sigh would pass by her ear and her heart would hurt.

She often wondered how he could possibly be so wild.

Politics, campaigns and blood battles. He even refused to rest in his dreams.

Had to go, she had to go. She had fallen into a life-claiming quicksand pit. It was difficult to move out of it, but she had to.

"October'sOsmanthus fragrance fills thy head..."

The sweet aroma filled her lungs and she glanced back. Though her heart was cold, she remembered Chu Beijie's sweet smile.

Chu Beijie had whispered to her, "When spring comes, all the flowers here will be in full bloom. When that time comes, I'll personally pick a flower for you every day."

"I'm not beautiful, so wouldn't I be shadowed by a pretty flower?"

"Fine. You can sing. Sing until the flower withers."

The sound of Chu Beijie's laughter filled the empty courtyard.

In her heart, Pingting wept with sadness.

When spring comes, when all the flowers here will be in full bloom, you will be in Dong Lin and where will I be?

For the next twenty or so days, Chu Beijie refused to leave her side, as if worried about losing her. He watched her like a hawk, like a hungry person in front of food.

Pingting's heart melted like ice against the summer heat.

"Where's Moran these days?"

"I got him to do something, he only came back yesterday."

"What was so important that you actually had to send him away?"

Chu Beijie saw the raised eyebrow on her face and sighed. "The most important thing in this world is that you stay with me."

Pingting rolled her eyes and wrinkled her nose, "Flattery."

"You aren't wrong, my mouth is flattering. Duchess, try it." He took the opportunity and kissed her, only letting go when he heard a faint "nnnn" from her. He broke away, put on a serious look and said, "Let's go back inside."

"No!" Pingting clenched her fists and hammered them against his back. "You pervert, I am not going back."

Another squeal and she'd already been picked up by Chu Beijie.

"Geez, not again...give me a break."

Chu Beijie laughed, "You can take a break later."

It was already the season of floating snowflakes, yet Pingting had still not found a good time to leave the Ducal Residence. She had almost torn her handkerchief, from worrying about it.

Today was supposed to be the best day, as Chu Beijie would be away all day, but he just had to tell Chu Moran, "Look after my future Duchess until I get back."

Pingting was determined this time to not let such a great opportunity to slip away. She stood outside the door for a long time, watching him ride his horse away from her, as it would be the last time she'd ever see him.

Chu Moran approached her and stopped respectfully at a distance. "Miss Yangfeng, its cold, please come inside."

As Chu Beijie's figure disappeared from sight, Pingting gathered her thoughts. She turned around, lips playing into a smile. "I suppose it'll snow tomorrow." She stepped back inside the main gates and she could see Chu Moran standing rigidly behind her.

"Moran, you should do your other work."

"Duke ordered to protect Miss Yangfeng today."

Pingting's face was as cold as stone. "You're monitoring me?"

"Wouldn't dare to."

"I want to go outside. Are you going to tie me up and report to Duke?"

"Wouldn't dare to." As expected of Moran, his voice was level and his face ever expressionless.