22

His eyebrows were dark, his eyes were bright, his nose was high and there was always a trace of a smile on his lips. It was the first time she had ever seen him up close, and as she remembered her previous memories of him, and she smiled back.

Chu Beijie had always been cherished and praised by the maids in his residence, so he took no notice of Pingting's observations. Instead he asked, "Is the Lady asleep?"

Pingting was worried he would recognised her voice so she simply nodded.

Chu Beijie thought, before heading to war, one must explore his enemy. This maid must always be around the Lady, so she must know what she likes. Having this in mind, he asked, "Your Lady likes to play the qin, but do you know where she learned how to play like that?"

Pingting pointed at the throat and open her mouth twice.

Chu Beijie instantly understood, "You can't speak." He got up and walked right up to Lady Hua's door, paused and listened. Then he just stood there.

What is this person doing? Pingting was fairly worried and refused to leave Chu Beijie side.

She wanted to ask about her Master, but now she was a maid and a mute, so she couldn't afford to be anxious and ask questions.

Chu Beijie saw the worry in her eyes and thought that she had misunderstood his real intentions. "Don't worry, I won't disturb your Lady. I am merely sitting a vigil for my beloved phoenix."

Pingting was stunned as she recalled the Dong Lin tradition. A man would stand outside his lover's door and sit vigil for three nights. They were supposed to protect the person they liked and this usually took place three days before marriage. This 'Dong Dingnan' was brave in a way, to sit vigil for a girl who was not yet engaged to him.

Her heart felt hollow because she was still lying to him. Pingting's eyes dropped, I don't have any choice. If he finds out who I am or that I'm part of the Jing-An Ducal Residence, he will put me into jail, immediately.

"You can go back to sleep."

Pingting looked at him, remaining there wasn't right but leaving him was rather awkward. If he finds out that the 'Lady Hua' he has been talking to was not the real one, then....

"Go, go back to sleep. This is a Dong Lin man's problem." Chu Beijie had decided to do this to earn the Lady's trust.

Pingting couldn't say anything against that, and went back to her room, head drooping.

Can I even fall asleep? She turned four or five times on her bed, telling herself, I didn't ask him to sit vigil, so it's not my problem right? But after a while, she felt really mean again.

She couldn't help quietly getting up again. She peeked out of the window.

Chu Beijie was still standing where Pingting had last seen him and he was staring off into the sky. He was tall and imposing. The dusky moonlight was evenly scattered on him, like a soldier of heaven had descended.

Pingting studied his aquiline noise, like a carver paying attention to the finest details. Chu Beijie suddenly moved and she ducked down, like a frightened rabbit. She was blushing.

She pressed her hand on her chest. It felt like her heart wasn't there anymore.

Why aren't you sitting down and having a rest?

Are you stupid, why do you have to be so serious about a vigil? It is not like there is anyone coming to check on whether you're standing or not, right?

Pingting hoped that the morning would come soon, then he would be able to get some rest too and she wouldn't have to worry about him anymore.

The sky finally became a grey-white, and Pingting hurried to the door.

But before she had actually gone outside her legs felt like jelly and she collapsed.

He hadn't slept for the whole night and she had watched him for the entire night too.

"Aren't we crazy?" Pingting laughed awkwardly at herself. She steadied herself before opening the door to greet Chu Beijie.

Chu Beijie had stood for several hours, yet he did not appear to be tired. He had heard her footsteps and he saw yesterday's mute maid approach him.

"You woke up early today, is that because you have to help wash your lady?"

Pingting nodded.

Chu Beijie wasn't planning to talk to her, but when he saw her, he had a pleasantly warm feeling. He had seen many girls before, but none of them had the same golden aura, not to mention a maid having one. Their eyes accidentally met.

Her pupils shone like black crystals.

Her pupils could talk. At first glance, the light looked like a stream running into the blackness of her eyes, but the more he looked at them, the deeper they felt. Her eyes were hiding a thousand words.

Chu Beijie couldn't help saying, "Your Lady must like you as you have extraordinary eyes."

Pingting smiled slightly in reply and Chu Beijie added, "To have such a maid, one can imagine what the Lady is like."