73

"Do you believe that I'd kill the two princes?"

"No."

"Would the King believe so?"

Moran hesitated for a moment, then resolutely said, "The King would believe it. According to the royal hierarchy, if the King doesn't have any sons, then Duke would be next in line. The person who put poisoned them was Pingting, who has connections with Duke. Now that the Duke also returns with the army, how could the King not suspect you?"

Chu Beijie raised his eyes to see that night had approached, that even the last scrap of light had gone. "You can see how much pressure the King is under. If we enter the city, we and all people related to us will be captured and killed, for the sake of Dong Lin's peace. Even if I were the King of Dong Lin, I would do the same."

Thump, thump. After a few thumps, all the people behind him were kneeling, face solemn.

Commander Shenwei said, "I don't mind going into the city gates myself to convince the King that Duke is innocent. I can swear on all of my ancestors and living family that this is the truth."

"I'm also willing to swear that Duke is innocent!" The crowd's vows echoed in the heavy sky.

"You've accompanied me through battle for all sorts of years. The King is even suspecting me, so how can he not think badly of all of you? Going into the city only means immediate death. Our only two options are death. Either going into the city, it's fine if I get punished, but the Dong Lin army's spirit will be significantly diminished due to the lack of the main general. Even though Dong Lin is famous for many strong warriors in the past, perhaps now it won't even have enough power to defend itself. However, if we don't enter the city, the King may interpret this as rebellion.

Moran was the most loyal. He had been an orphan and had accompanied Chu Beijie since young. He clenched his teeth fiercely. "Entering is impossible, but not entering is impossible too. Since the King's suspicious, he won't forgive Duke. It's a real dilemma. Another option is to take the troops and invade the city, after all, Duke is the next inheritor of the throne."

"Invading the capital isn't difficult as all of the best soldiers are under my control. That's another reason why the King wants to eliminate me." Chu Beijie shook his head, "But even if we invaded the capital, killed the King and took the throne, what would happen to the people of Dong Lin? Once the royal family is a mess, the peasants' hearts are troubled and the officials will have varying opinions. Other countries would take the opportunity to invade as well. Do we really want Dong Lin to be slaughtered by an enemy country?"

That was enough to make Moran lower his head.

The crowd all knew that Chu Beijie had other considerations. They didn't dare interrupt, just kneeled on the ground without a word.

The winds of the plain were ever more aggressive, causing the flag to beat against its pole yet the ten thousands of troops waited in silence, for their main general to make a decision.

"To harm me, she didn't even mind revealing that she was the murderess. Even if it was in Dong Lin, she didn't care at all..." He slowly turned back, the corners of his mouth hooked into a bitter smile. "Not only did she manage to send Dong Lin into chaos, even caused Bei Mo to be a sworn enemy of Dong Lin. Nice, nice tactic." He laughed bitterly for a little longer, then stopped, his expression freezing in place. His gaze was far into the battlefield of a thousand miles, an expression he would've been disdainful in the past. He shouted loudly, "All commanders, listen to my order!"

"Here!"

"Immediately attack the city. After taking out the city walls, don't attack anyone who doesn't resist. Shoo all of the peasants into their houses and tie up the nobles, and wait for further instructions." Chu Beijie barked out another order, "Commander Shenwei!"

"I'm here!"

"Once the city is captured, you lead ten thousand soldiers who are responsible for keeping order in the city. Station troops to monitor around the Royal Residence and the residences of important officials, strictly forbidding people to enter."

"Yes!"

"Commander Shenyong!"

"I'm here!"

"Once the city is captured, you lead twenty thousand soldiers and guard the city walls. Absolutely no one is allowed to escape, so that no news of the city's capture can be leaked."

"Yes!"

"Commander Shenwu, you come with me. Surround the Royal Residence when we fight our way in, to see the King."

"Yes!"

Despite the series of orders, Chu Beijie's expression was calm as he strategized. He had a faint smile on his lips as he glanced around at his generals. "This is for Dong Lin and for self-protection. Everyone remember this, this time isn't the same as previous attacks. The strongest soldiers are already on our side so the other guards should be intimidated enough already. It should be easy to get the city under our control, so kill as less as possible."

"We'll obey the Duke of Zhen-Bei's orders at all costs!"

Under the night sky, the black figures of the army quickly approached the capital city of Dong Lin, like a stealthy snake.

Battle cries were heard on this night of a full moon. The King's own brother had decided to do something on this night to Dong Lin, just rebel ever so slightly.

The King of Dong Lin was standing at a high point of the Royal Residence, watching the dragon-like flames, in the night sky, that were rapidly approaching. He heard the fighting.

"King!" A guard soaked in blood hurried over. "The Royal Residence has been invaded by traitors. It's not safe to stay here, please escape King!"

The Queen and a crowd of family stood, faces drained of colour. The Queen was still wearing mourning clothes and had her head bowed gracefully. "He's already killed my sons and now he plot to kill us. As of now, his troops are guarding the city. Where else can we go?" She turned to the King, kneeling while crying, "King, I'm sorry but I do not wish to suffer humiliation. As the Royal House is broken, please may King allow me to tie a noose."

"No, King!" Many maids who had followed the Queen for several years knelt down, crying hard.

All of a sudden, the main room was full of crying sounds.

The King of Dong Lin slowly looked back, saying, "Chu Lei."

"Chu Lei is here, King."

The Dong Lin King pondered for a while, then suddenly asked, "How are the peasants?"

"King?"

"My younger brother, did he massacre normal civilians?"

"The rebel army entered the city and ordered everyone to stay in their homes. They're forbidden to look outside too, so the soldiers aren't entering the houses either. They didn't plan to create much chaos so lives haven't been lost."

The King slowly nodded, asking another question. "What about the officials? Have the ones that don't get along with brother been killed yet?"

Chu Lei could hear the sounds of battle approaching rapidly, but the King seemed to have no intention of hiding, seemingly wasting time here without a trace of expression. But he still had his duty as an official to fulfill, so he answered with a frown. "I heard that the officials' residences have been guarded. The traitor knows the officials well and I heard that he captures one whenever he sees one. I don't know where they're being kept, or whether they're still alive. King, time is precious, please leave immediately."