PART FOUR

He was leaving today. The past four days passed so quickly that they didn't realise that it was time for them to part their ways. It was difficult for both of them. Sometimes, the distance just really gets them.

She'll miss his firm hold on her hand. She'll miss seeing him every day on her doorstep waiting for her so patiently. She'll miss his face when he accidentally ate the chilly in his fried-rice. She'll miss his smile whenever someone mentioned gulab jamuns. She'll miss his glares whenever she teased him for acting like a kid. She'll miss seeing him. She'll miss feeling him. She'll miss his touch, his scent, his laughter, his voice. She'll miss him.
He'll miss holding her hand. He'll miss the butterflies he'd get when she kissed his cheeks randomly. He'll miss her laughter when he'd whine like a kid for sweet after lunch. He'll miss the high-fives she gave when they agreed on a lame joke. He'll miss seeing her roll her eyes whenever she didn't have a good comeback. He'll miss the blush creeping on her cheeks when he complimented her. He'll miss being by her side. He'll miss her smile, her touch, her kisses, her hugs. He'll miss her.

They've been in a sounding silence for more than ten minutes until she asked:
"Can you not stay for one more day?"

He looked at her with sad eyes but chose not to say anything. He thought saying something would just ruin her emotions.

"It's okay. Even your mum needs you." She said with a forced smile while teasing him.

"For the 100th time, I'm not a mumma's boy." He rolled his eyes playfully lightening the atmosphere.

"Whatever lets you sleep at night." She said with a genuine smile.

"So you're coming all the way to Dadar just to bid me goodbye?" He asked with amusement.

"No, I'm coming with you so you don't get lost in the crowd." She said teasing him.

"Duh! Considering your height, you'll probably be the first one to get lost in the crowd." He chuckled.

She glared at him without saying anything.

"C' mon you know I was just kidding." He said convincingly.

"I don't care. Forget it, I'm not coming." She said trying hard to control her smile.

"Oh no! Please! I said I was joking baby. What if I get lost? I don't even trust the people of your Mumbai." He said with a playful smile lingering on his lips when he saw her controlling her smile.

"Haha. As if I really care." She rolled her eyes at him. He chuckled at her response. It was one of the many things that he loved about her.

"By the way, when will you come next?" She asked.

"I don't really know. Let's see." He said in disappointment.

"It's alright. Don't rush. I know there's another part of your life at your place you need to take care of that too." She said with an assuring smile.

"I know love. I'll be coming right back home to you as soon as possible." He said kissing the side of her head quoting the lyrics of her favourite band. She chuckled.

They had been travelling in the local for about 30 minutes now. When the train came to a halt, she jerked and held the side of his shirt firmly to regain her balance.

He leaned towards her and whispered:
"If you want to see me shirtless no need to rip it off of me. You'd have told me when we were at your home. I'd have happily obliged." He said with a smirk on his lips.

She was so astounded that she didn't realise she had her wides so open and probably looked like a tomato because of the blush on her face. Seeing her like this he laughed leaning backwards, something he does when he's having a full-blown laugh. She smiled at him.

"Don't worry. I will wait." He said with a soft smile.

She didn't know what exactly to say, so she chose to keep silent. It was time for him to board his train.

"So you're leaving." She said with tears glistening in her eyes fighting to trail down.

"I'll be back soon." He said with a sad smile.

"I know." She said not knowing what else to say.
With that, she broke down in tears holding his hand too firm to let go

"Hey, I'll be back soon. I promise. You focus on your exams now. You won't realise how time will go away." He said wiping her tears.

She nodded in response.

"By the way, I have something for you." He said with a soft smile on his face and bright eyes, something he did when he was excited about something.

She gave him a confused look when he went down on his knees.

"Don't worry I'm not proposing you. We're too young for that, though I don't mind marrying you right here right now, I still have to be capable enough to make your life with me worth it. So, this is for my promises. I promise I'm not letting you go anytime soon. I'll hold on to us, our forever. Even if you ever decide to leave I'll always be standing with open arms where you left me. I promise you that I'll always try to be your favourite novel, favourite person. I promise I'll always try to keep you the happiest. I promise I'll always love you, and that we'll make this last. This is not a goodbye love." He said with nervousness, happiness, excitement, hesitation everything all at once. He didn't realise that she had been crying all the time he said his monologue.

He stood, embraced her in his strong arms and kissed her forehead.
"It's alright if you don't want it now. I'll wait till you're ready." He whispered.

"No, it's not that, I want it. I do." She said shaking her head. Listening to her answer he was so happy that he couldn't even slide the ring properly in her finger. Both of them chuckled at his actions.

"It's just that, one should never make promises to a crying a girl, she'll probably hold on to that forever." She said with a sad smile.

"And I'm willing to take the risk." He said hugging her.

Hearing the last announcement he let go of her until she held his hand and kissed him. This time on his lips. It was not a kiss full of passion and pleasure. It was a slow kiss, full of emotions, feelings enough for him to forget all the worries. Tears trailed down their cheeks. She stepped back.
"This was a promise kiss." She smiled at him.

"I love you. And the next time you come, I really want to see you shirtless." She said playfully.

"I know you want to see it now itself. But I'll have to keep you waiting." He said with a wink.

"Don't flatter yourself!" She laughed rolling her eyes at him.

"I love you. See you soon. " He whispered kissing her forehead.

"See you soon love." She smiled hugging him.