Chapter 1: Lie

The cursor blinks on my screen, hanging at the end of my half-finished email.

I flex my fingers before letting them hover over the keyboard again. The pressure of writing to the Company Board is already enough to paralyse me, but the fact that I'm talking about my dream project only ups the stakes.

I read over the lines again, and groan inwardly.

That won't do.

I press the backspace key, watching as the email erases itself from my screen. As my brain churns itself trying to come up with appropriate words and phrases, my eyes wander around the kitchen.

Yoongi leans against the kitchen counter, in all of his morning glory. The sunlight that streams in through the window-blinds paint striped patterns all over him. His hair is still messed up from sleep and his white shirt hands loosely on his frame. He stirs the sugar into his coffee, takes a sip and makes a face.

An unfamiliar warmth tickles at my chest. I blink, jerking my head back to focus on the laptop screen. I can't get distracted. Not while I'm working on what might as well be my lifetime goal.

As my fingers fly over the keyboard, I can still hear Yoongi moving about in the background. The rush of water as he rinses the cup under the tap. The rustle of the towel as he wipes it dry. The sounds of the cabinet opening and closing as he puts the cup back in its place.

I try to tune him out, but I'm only more aware of him on the edge of my vision. I reach for my green tea, taking a sip. It does nothing to calm my racing mind. It's like Yoongi has crept under my skin.

It has to be last night. Last night has gone to my head.

I push my glasses up the bridge of my nose. Focus, woman. This is your career at stake.

The chair scrapes at the other end of the table.

"Can we talk?" Yoongi asks, his voice more raspy than usual.

My eyes fly to him, and then flit back to the laptop screen. I'm making no progress here, so I might as well listen to what he has to say.

I take off my glasses and rub my eyes. "Sure."

He clears his throat and plants his elbows on the table, resting his face in the palm of his hand.

"I want to move out."

A jolt runs through me, flushing me hot and cold at the same time.

'Why?" I ask, suddenly feeling stupid. I lick my lips and try to cover up the concern in my voice. "Why, all of a sudden?"

He shrugs. "I think it's time that we ended this."

Oh.

I feel a sting in my chest. The twisting of a corkscrew in my gut. I blink, suddenly aware of the weight of my limbs.

"That's... that's fine." I look up at him and smile. My throat feels dry and scratchy, and I reach for my cup only to find it empty. "When are you moving out?"

"As soon as I can." He stretches and yawns, his shirt sliding up his body to reveal a sliver of skin. "I'll start packing today."

"I better place an ad for a new house-mate, then." I stand, grabbing my laptop. "If you find someone interested, send them my way."

My socked feet slip on the tiles. I catch myself on the edge of the table. Yoongi stands up as if to steady me, but I move away before he can.

I straighten myself, flashing a smile at him.

As I walk back to my room, my chest twinges again. I clutch at it in confusion, my thoughts scattered and vague.