Chapter 5: Love Maze

I'm no lightweight, but I stumble on my heels a couple of times as I make my way to the dance-floor later.

The sea of sweat and pheromones and souring perfume soon swallows me up. The music is loud, and the pulsing, throbbing lights transport me somewhere else. I can feel the reverberations of the beat in my bones, and I welcome the feeling of not having to think for once.

Until a hand lands on my hip.

I whip around, yanked out of my trance. The man reeks of spirit, a huge grin on his face as his hands travel to my waist, drawing me closer.

"Haven't seen you around here before," he slurs. "What's your name, sexy?"

His hand travels down to my ass.

I grit my teeth, drawing back before driving my knee between his legs.

On another day, I would've hit my mark. But being drunk, I miss my mark, my momentum sending me tumbling right into his arms.

Before I can straighten myself, his fingers dig into my flesh.

I swallow the panic that rises in my throat, trying to pry himself off of me. But he is taller and stronger, and his grip only tightens.

"Someone really should teach you some manners," a voice growls to my left.

I only see a blur of movement. In a second, the man is curled up on the floor, cradling his arm.

"You alright?" The voice asks.

The flashing lights make it hard for me to focus, and it takes me a moment to realise that it is Yoongi.

When my eyes widen in recognition, his hand goes around my waist, leading me through the crowd. I stumble alongside him, too shocked to protest.

He rounds a corner into a dimly lit corridor before walking me through a door. The room is dark except for a naked light-bulb hanging overhead. I let myself fall into a musty sofa, feeling drained.

His hand comes to rest against my cheek as he turns my face to the light, inspecting it.

"You're alright," he says more to himself than to me.

I push his hand off me, folding my arms and crossing my legs as I stare down at him.

"Why are you here?" His eyes flicker over me. "You never went to places like this before."

"Tch." I look away. "As if you would know."

"I do know." He keeps his gaze on me, and it makes me want to either punch him or kiss him. I can't decide.

I shift and squirm, uncomfortable in the silence that stretches between us. The way he looks at me brings back flashes of last night. Something warm tickle at my chest before running through my body.

"My life fell apart today, you know?" I say, meeting his gaze once again. "My mentor turned out to be a snake. I lost the project I'd been working on for a year. And I'm out of a job."

He tenses, as if afraid of what I'm going to say.

"And yet," I choke out, my vision beginning to blue. "All I can think of-- All I can worry about is you!"

"Y/N," he whispers, his hands coming up to rest on mine.

"You're bored, you said?" I smirk, holding his gaze. "Let me test that."

I lean forward, my body sliding off the sofa as my lips land clumsily on his. My teeth clashes with his as I try to kiss him. Yoongi stays paralysed, his hands hovering above me.

There's still a sensible part of me that yells at me that I'm embarrassing myself. That I would regret everything I did once the alcohol left my system. But that part is tiny and quiet, and the rest of me is crying out for him.

As I pull back, I see the look in his eyes and feel the shame rushing in.

"I'm sorry I kissed you." I squeak out at him. "I'm--"

My voice breaks as a sob rises in my throat.

Yoongi stays there, his eyes wide as he takes in the mess that I am. My smeared mascara and my smudged lipstick. My messy hair and my tear-streaked face.

This is how he's going to remember you. That sensible part of me whispers, now that everything else in me has fallen silent. This is how the man you love is going to remember you.

It finally clicks in my intoxicated brain.

"I'm sorry--" I try again. His face blurs in my vision, my eyes stinging with tears once again. "I'm sorry for loving you."

There is a silence during which I count the seconds.

One, two, three, I count, sure that my heart would burst any moment. Four, five—

And then I'm pushed back against the sofa and his lips are on mine.