Chapter 6: Love is Not Over

I open my eyes with effort. My eyelashes are crusty, and my lips feel cracked. I blink, the room finally coming into focus.

I don't recognise it. The bed is strange, and so is the room. I sit up, wincing at the ache that pulses around my temples.

Oh no. I pass a hand over my eyes as I remember. Please let it be a dream.

But as each moment passes, the memories only come into sharper focus, and I feel like I might die of embarrassment.

"Up already?" Yoongi's voice calls from the door.

My cheeks burn with shame. He walks in, handing me a glass of water and a tiny tablet.

"That should help with the hangover." He leans back against the wall, watching as I swallow the tablet, chasing it with the water.

I place the empty glass on the bedside table. The movement makes the blanket fall away from my body, and I realise that I'm not wearing the clothes I had on last night.

"This..." I grasp at the fabric of the white shirt and my eyes snap to him. "Did—did we—"

"No." He shakes his head. "You threw up on our way here and I had to change your clothes."

Relief floods my system, but it doesn't last for long. The longer I look at him, the worse I feel. The embarrassment from earlier is now mixed with guilt.

He made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with me, and yet, here I am, being a burden on him again.

I bite my lip, remembering my drunken confession. Everything else is a confused blur, but I do remember throwing myself at him. I do remember breaking down in tears before telling him I loved him.

"Yoongi, I—" I take a deep breath, running a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have acted like that, no matter how drunk I was."

He just stares at me with an unreadable expression.

I sigh, hauling myself to my feet. "I'll see myself out, then. I'm sorry for complicating things."

My limbs feel like lead, and my head rattles like a tin can as I walk.

"Y/N," his voice calls from behind.

I stop, supporting myself with a hand on the doorframe.

"What if I do want to complicate things with you?" He mumbles the words so quietly I think I'm mistaken.

"What are you talking about?" I blink.

He closes the distance between us, cupping my face in his hands. "You said you loved me. Does that still stand?"

I lick my lips, feeling the rough edges of chapped skin there. My pulse races and I feel weak, as if I would fall over any moment.

I nod.

"Good." He smiles, his gaze dropping to my lips.

"You—you love me?" My head spins. "But you left. You said you were bored."

He rests his forehead against mine, his breath blowing against my skin as he speaks. "I left because I fell in love with you."

Once he starts talking, the words pour out like water from a broken dam.

"I thought you didn't feel the same, and I didn't want to be—I didn't want to scare you away. God, do you know how hard it was for me the last few weeks? Seeing you every day without being able to tell you how I felt?"

He closes his eyes. Our bodies are touching and I can feel him breathing hard.

"Idiot," I say, brushing a lock of hair from his forehead.

He presses a brief kiss on my lips. "I know. I almost lost you for no reason."

We stay like that for what feels like a long time, content with just being close.

"I'm still out of a job, though," I say after a while, breaking the silence.

"I'm not worried about that. You'll find a better one in no time." Yoongi releases me and flashes a grin. "In the meantime, happy Valentine's day, Y/N."