Chapter 3: Ego

Jiyong's legs dangle a few inches off the ground as he sits on my desk, sipping his coffee from a paper cup. I can smell his floral hand-sanitiser from this distance. He turns a page, scans over the lines and hums.

"How is it?" My fingers grip the fabric of my skirt under the desk. I can almost hear the pounding of my heart as I wait for his verdict.

"They're gonna love it." He flashes a grin, placing the file back on the desk. "This might just be the project that our company has been looking for all this time."

I almost go weak from relief.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"I know what the Board wants. I'm the CEO, remember?" He taps a finger against his temple.

"Thanks, Jiyong."

My boss smiles indulgently, draining his cup.

"I really hope this takes off. This project is my baby." I sink back into my seat, the knot in my chest easing a little.

"You've been working hard, Y/N." His hand suddenly comes up to brush my cheek, his thumb dipping into the hollow under my eye. "You look tired. Didn't sleep last night?"

I flinch, surprised by his actions. His mention of last night brings the memories back again, and his eyes linger on the heat blooming on my cheeks.

I clear my throat, trying to dissipate the awkwardness. "Do you want a doughnut? They're good. Sara got these from that new bakery."

He ignores the box.

"You know, Y/N." His hands go to the knot in his tie, loosening it a little. "My help doesn't come free."

"I'll treat you to dinner..." I trail off, sensing the change in the atmosphere.

"I was thinking of something better."

He walks to the glass partitions that separate my cabin from the rest of the office, lowering the blinds. Back at my desk, he picks up a desk toy. He runs his fingers over its glass globe, rolling it back and forth on the axis it is mounted on.

"My friend has this beach-resort." He gives the globe a spin, watching it as it turns. "Beautiful place. Real private."

He lifts his eyes to mine, and bile rises in the back of my throat.

"Jiyong, what are you talking about?"

"Oh, don't play coy, Y/N." He walks around the desk and plants himself in front of me, his hands on the armrests of my chair. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"You— you're married!"

"Is that important? Come on, Y/N. You know how these things work. My wife doesn't have to know." He turns his gaze on me, and I fight the sudden urge to run. "It'll be fun, and I'll definitely make it worth your while."

"No."

"No?"

"I can't do it. I— I'm going to the meeting." I stand up, knocking him back.

"Don't bother, darling." He catches me by the elbow. "Without my support, do you think you can get the board to agree to this proposal of yours?"

"It doesn't matter how good you are." His breath grazes my ear as he speaks, his iron-grip locking me in place. "Without my support, you won't even get a fair chance."

"Screw you!"

"That's the idea." He chuckles, letting go of my arm, trapping me between the desk and himself. "I tried to do this the nice way, but you're forcing my hand here."

I rub the spot on my elbow where his hand was a moment ago.

"Last chance for you, Y/N." His eyes glint like those of a predator as he moves closer. "You can either kiss your dream project goodbye, or get down on your knees like a good girl and suck me off."

Slap.

His head jerks to the side. I shove him aside, ignoring the stinging of my palm as I gather my things.

"So your career is less important to you than your ego?" He rubs his cheek, his eyes turning dark.

My head snaps up.

"It's called self-respect, you bastard." I pick up my bag, barely holding myself back from slapping him again. "And yes, it is more important to me. I quit."